The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Geek Gazette (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   GAZ info (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2999)

The Geek 03-25-2007 06:47 PM

I avoid altering vB's datastructure. In fact, I have never done it. Not because I think it is a 'bad thing', but because I feel that you should do it if at all possible (saying that - I may have to break my own rule for the next iteration of gal).

Personally, I think the saving on processing time is only marginal but the payout if FAR more flexability.

For instance, I can have 3 newsletter and users can subscribe to a combination of one or more of them. You would have to add 3 more fields to the userprofile page for that.

Anyhoo, keep up the observations.

nexia 03-25-2007 08:19 PM

oh, then if you have the ability to add more gazettes, my suggestion is irrelevent... lol

Webmist 03-25-2007 09:24 PM

Sounds great. I currently have listmessenger intergrated somewhat into my forum using the user profile fields. Would love to have a newletter built for vb. Will it have import and export for user info? Like who's subscribed to what?

jluerken 03-26-2007 10:33 AM

One of the biggest gaps in Vbulletin might get closed with your product. I am looking forward to it :D

henrikhansen 03-26-2007 02:23 PM

Even thougth GAZ is built to power itself with as little to no intervention,
I would find it quite useful if GAZ had an option to include some
comments in the top of the newsletters, fx in case the forum owner
wants to tell about new features, competitions etc.

The Geek 03-26-2007 04:59 PM

It does :)

acers 03-26-2007 05:15 PM

geek some question, (just trying to see if this would fit in or replace the rather clumsy phplist integration i use right now)
1) Would it be possible to send just custom messages(with attachments parsed, eg html mails). (think of it as a template). Ok you might probably say its better to use standalone application for this like phplist but user management is bit of a problem there.
2) Does it have ability to attach attachments? (eg no offsite image linking. more like phpmailer class where you can embed the attachments.)
3) would it be extendable via modules to send custom things. eg i have a fantasy league and i would want it to send a mail every time a race is added. so i can query the db, use a pre defined template, push the data and one image in there and send.

just checking if i should wait around eagerly for this :D don't mind the questions. :)

The Geek 03-26-2007 06:17 PM

Hey Acers,

1- If I understand you right - yes :)
2- Not as it is now. All images, etc.. are linked offsite. Kirby has made the same suggestion - however it is too early to tell yet if it will have this ability.
3- Every element (content block) is a module. So yes, it would be very extendable that way :)

acers 03-27-2007 07:01 AM

nice can't wait for the RC :)

Lizard King 03-27-2007 08:50 AM

It is one of the best addon's that have been build for vBulletin.
I know it is so early to ask but if there will be an option to integrate other vbulletin hacks inside , maybe vblogetin , gallery etc...

You know i am a big fan or Gal and Gars but for me GAZ is way more important then other hacks :rolleyes: