The vB Geek

The vB Geek (
-   Geek Article and Review System (
-   -   GARS 2.0 status (

The Geek 03-31-2006 05:39 PM

GARS 2.0 status
4 Attachment(s)
Hey All,

Thought I would tease you with whats in the pipeline for GARS PRO.
Currently, there are a few minor open issues with GARS, however as I am in middle of coding v.2.0, I have found it difficult to work toward releasing a maintenance fix for the open bugs. Therefore I have moved GARS 2.0 onto my key development plate so I can address open issues and introduce some new cool features.

The key new feature is one that has been in the works for awhile, however the past week I have made some strong progress with it: Custom Fields.
This is similar to User Profile Fields, however they are designed to tack on to a GARS entry without the overhead of unserializing (which is the current method of extra field handling via mods).
This will allow you to tack extra profile fields on to threadbits as well as showthread pages and reduce the need to write modules simply to capture extra fields. In fact, 99% of fields captures should be able to be handled via the custom fields.

Custom field list.
This is a list of all custom fields. Forgive the stupid titles, it was for testing. This is 1 of each of the current types of fields on offer.

Edit field
This is a snapshot of one of the edit pages (this one for a textarea) to give you an idea of some of the options available.

Edit Type
This is where you assign custom fields to your types (at the bottom of each type page). This helps to lower overhead by only grabbing the fields you want for that specific type.

Edit/new thread
Here is a snapshot of a new thread showing 1 of each of the currently supported field types.

Other features

Im tweaking a couple other areas, however thats mostly centered around adding support for viewing rating results and percentages in threadbits.

When will it be done? Tough to say at this stage. Im most of the way through (about 80%). It depends on how the other 20% behaves. If it behaves well, you could see beta around here by next weekend. If not, it could take longer.


simsim 03-31-2006 05:49 PM

Just great... Thanks for the time being devoted to work on all those nice scripts.

Would the custom fields be searchable? Also what about the RTL layout issues. These are the things that matter me most at the moment. :)

The Geek 03-31-2006 05:54 PM

Not sure about the search options. This would open the door for them being searchable, however ive never hooked into any search function yet, so I'm not totally sure how easy or difficult it is yet.

As for RTL issues, I dont see why it would be difficult to do, however I will have to investigate the implimentation. I doubt it will be very difficult to do :)

smo 03-31-2006 10:45 PM

any rough estimate for release? Looking forward to it.

Ramses 04-01-2006 07:27 AM

hey geek, sounds very cool :)

The Geek 04-01-2006 09:56 AM

If we are lucky, there will be a public beta next weekend. If Im not, it will be before my 80th Birthday :D

Coriolan 04-01-2006 12:11 PM

Im looking for the PRO version.

I need it and I want to pay for it :rolleyes:
Buy Scale

Marris 04-01-2006 07:46 PM

It looks great. This is exactly the type of thing I was asking about in my previous posts.

I hope you will re-open sales with the release of 2.0.

JirQUEST 04-02-2006 03:13 PM

looks cool. i am curious though. how is the debugging with the unsolved issues?

The Geek 04-03-2006 03:57 PM

I think Ive got most issues resolved in this one. However it may be worth either bumping any issues you have that are outstanding or at least slipping a link in this post.

Actually, in second thought, I think I do a round up post asking for any unresolved issues to be posted in there. I went through the first couple pages in the troubleshooting forum and have 90% of any outstanding issues resolved, however there are a couple I simply cant reproduce as of now.

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.