The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Geek Article and Review System (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   GARS 2.1.8 Release Discussion (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3276)

The Geek 05-22-2007 04:48 PM

GARS 2.1.8 Release Discussion

I have uploaded 2.1.8 to the download section for active license holders. Please note that this thread contains VERY important upgrading information so check it out!

2.1.8 is a maintenance release primarily aimed at closing out any open bugs in the tracker, but also to ensure that GARS_pb and GARS_threadbit are brought up to 3.6.7 standards. Note that it isn't imperative that you upgrade from 2.1.7c if you are not currently experiencing any difficulties with imagemagic, template hooks or with deleting items.

Template hooks

There are some limitations to placing the new template hooks in the GARS templates. I essentially left out the postbit template hooks that allowed you to display content next to the users avatar and other information. The reason being that there are no avatars and such in a default GARS_pb template! That means if you are using any other modifications that require these areas to run, you may need to manually add them. Otherwise the reast of the hooks in those templates are there.

Imagemagic

I have added imagemagic support. In fact, I totally reworked the image uploading section of GARS to leverage vB's excellent classes to do the work. The result is far more flexibility and better results. This however means a slight change to the snap module's code that comes with the link directory add on. If you use the link directory add on, you MUST update the package and you MUST change your URL to header images setting in admincp->gars->settings to the FULL URL (not the relative one). Otherwise you will not be able to take snapshots of the sites.

Deletion issues

Note that there was a problem with the previous versions uploads. I mistakenly uploaded the wrong strap files which resulted in the stupid deletion error coming back. I have tested this version on 4 different sites and have not been able to come across it yet so I am confident that we have seen the last of it.

Admin permissions

I have implemented admincp permissions for GARS. Currently the permissions are under 'canadmisettings' which proved to be a butt pain when I would help someone by logging into a locked down admincp. Now you can specify under admin permissions who can and can not have access to GARS.

XHTML validation

I have also checked out the validation and the default installations should all be 100% XHTML validated (thanks Chris). I have not been able to check the add ons yet!

As ever, leave this thread open to discuss the release. Post new threads to troubleshoot and put bugs in the tracker.

Upgrade instructions
  1. Download latest package
  2. Upload the contents of upload/forums into your forums folder (overwriting where needed)
  3. Import the product-gars.xml file into your product manager (choosing to overwrite existing install)
  4. change the URL to header images folder path to your FULL url (admincp->gars->Settings)
  5. Re-upload any add-on xmls into the gars importer (choose to upload only the phrases and templates)
nJoy

Praetorian 05-22-2007 06:44 PM

Awesome the url image paths work fantastically!

alldoulas 05-22-2007 08:26 PM

For the Comments, New Review, etc. buttons how can I get GARS to use .gif extension instead of .png? I have gif buttons to work with the style.

The Geek 05-22-2007 09:27 PM

Edit the template sets and change them to whatever you want :)

mochito 05-22-2007 11:26 PM

Hi there... thanks for your effort to this, but i'm still
missing a language-file or a german translation :-(((

What about this?

gtx, juergen

Tigratrus 05-23-2007 02:19 AM

YES!

We've been spending a lot of time banging our head against the wall trying to iron out validation errors, we weren't sure yet if they were really GARS generated or just bang on errors from something else.

Looks good on our testbed, upgraded without a hitch. Will run the upgrade on our live server tomorrow in the early AM and post back if we see any snags. Thanks *very* much for the update... The Validation fixes are incredibly timely ;-).

James and Susan

The Geek 05-23-2007 06:38 AM

Sorry, but I cant do a language pack aside from English as it is the only language I know :(

reteep 05-23-2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Geek (Post 19133)
Admin permissions

I have implemented admincp permissions for GARS. Currently the permissions are under 'canadmisettings' which proved to be a butt pain when I would help someone by logging into a locked down admincp. Now you can specify under admin permissions who can and can not have access to GARS.

It would be really cool if you could implent that for GAB, too!

The Geek 05-23-2007 11:57 AM

I will do when I get to it again :)

captainslater 05-23-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochito (Post 19159)
Hi there... thanks for your effort to this, but i'm still
missing a language-file or a german translation :-(((

What about this?

gtx, juergen

The team of vbhacks-germany is working on it.

As The Geek is such a hard-working person it's very hard to keep up with his speed ;)