PDA

View Full Version : Bug, please help

albn99
01-05-2006, 04:47 AM
I am getting this message:

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /home/users/knobend/public_html/geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php on line 1623

This is when I click to see a list of other articles.

the code in question:

function snip_and_parse(&$text, $readmore = 0)
{
$text = $this->parse_bbcode($this->prep_for_broken_tags(fetch_trimmed_title($text, 250)));
$readmore ? strlen($text) > 240 ? $text . "... <a href='showthread.php?t=$readmore'><strong>More</strong></a>" : "" : "";
return $text;
}

How do I fix that?

Thanks

The Geek
01-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Upgrade to a later release (ie DNEG) :) that was fixed awhile ago.

albn99
01-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I just upgraded and followed all the instructions. Same problem. Does PHP5 have anything to do with it? Becuase it worked fine on the other server it used to be on.

Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks.

The Geek
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
it is a PHP5 issue, however that code isnt called like that anymore and hasnt been for awhile. Can you double check that you indeed overwrote your gars_class_core.php file? Maybe its cached or something?

albn99
01-05-2006, 08:38 PM
How do you flush the cache?

The Geek
01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
depends on what your using - ie EA, turk, whatever. Not really my area of expertise. All I know is that my php cache system gave me a headache trying to upload files from time to time.

All I know is that function call doesnt exist anymore. Especially if your getting it dieing on the same line number - thats a dead giveaway the old file is still being used.

HTHs

albn99
01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
depends on what your using - ie EA, turk, whatever. Not really my area of expertise. All I know is that my php cache system gave me a headache trying to upload files from time to time.

All I know is that function call doesnt exist anymore. Especially if your getting it dieing on the same line number - thats a dead giveaway the old file is still being used.

HTHs

Okay, I deleted all the files and reuploaded them. Same thing... strange indeed.

The Geek
01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
can you look at the modification date via your ftp?

albn99
01-05-2006, 10:37 PM
can you look at the modification date via your ftp?

I uninstalled the script, and am using vbPortals for now until I can figure it out.

The Geek
01-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Can you get me the file size and date of the geek_gars_class_core.php file in your forums/geek/gars/includes folder?
Heck, for that matter can you get the version number and file date from the header by opening the file up?

Thanks!

albn99
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
71888 bytes

################################################## ################################
## ##
## Geek Article and Review System (GARS) 1.0.0 ##
## Stick this file in your geek/gars/includes folder ##
## Copyright 2005-2006 by The vB Geek. Code may not be used in whole ##
## or part without my written permission. You may not distribute this ##
## or any of my files without my written permission. ##
## gars_class_core.php ##
## Last file chage 01.01.06 ##
## Copyright ©2005-2006 vBGeek. All Rights Reserved. ##
## This file may not be redistributed in whole or significant part. ##
## ---------------- GARS IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE ---------------- ##
## http://www.thevbgeek.com ##
################################################## ################################

The Geek
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Well, that is the latest header, but that header didnt even exist when you reported the bug - therefore the line number that is erroring out on you isnt relevant. Can you please update me on what error you are getting?

albn99
01-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Yup.

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /home/users/knobend/public_html/geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php on line 1650

The code in question:

function snip_and_parse(&$text, $readmore = 0)
{
$text = $this->parse_bbcode($this->prep_for_broken_tags(fetch_trimmed_title($text, 250)));
$readmore ? strlen($text) > 240 ? $text . "... <a href='showthread.php?t=$readmore'><strong>More</strong></a>" : "" : "";
return $text;
}

My friend's server runs PHP5.