PDA

View Full Version : large download files & on another server?

glowinggal
12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
is this possible? Our site currently OFFERS NOT ONLY TONS but large download files - sometimes upward of up to 100meg for download. Is this possible with this system? Is there a way for it to permit "linking" the download instead of "uploading it" via this system - thus in turn allowing just that file to be located on another server (the download area is a heavy and high load area that we have it hosted on it's own sever...) TIA!

The Geek
12-21-2005, 06:46 PM
GeekMart doesnt handle the downloading aspects, it CAN handle the usergroup aspects though.
For instance, on this site I have a usergroup for each license. GeekMart handles that purchasing of those additional usergroups (as well as the expiry of them).
THen I use Geeker (FOC download program here for anyone that has bought at least 1 of my licenses) to handle downloading by usergroup.
Geeker may have a problem with that big of a download. It doesnt do offsite downloads primarily as those URLs are easily discoverable :)

So in a nutshell - im not sure :)

glowinggal
12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Hmmmm trying to think of a way around this - wishh it could just encode the link that we type in at least etc. and hook up to that download on the other server - or at least if we encrypted it first and then put the link in; just being able to have the option to put a link in opposed to "uploading it" we have TONS of downloads; suppose I should have asked before purchasing - *live and learn* LOL! It was promising though!!!! Perhaps we can find another use for it :)

The Geek
12-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Let me bash around some ideas inside my head and see what I can come up with.

GeekMart has a module system (kind of like GARS).

Here are a couple potential ideas:

A module which could call a script on the destination server. The script would copy and rename the file a unique name, then GM could PM the user the url for the file. A cron job could delete the file after x amount of hours.
A module which could notify the user of the download location which a cron job could change the name of the file every 24 hours or so (or you could do it by hand).
A module that just gave the URL of the file and you could manually change it every so often.

Anyhooo - these are just a couple ideas that wouldnt require much work.

glowinggal
12-21-2005, 07:02 PM
both sound promising... aside from my "physically" changing anything...we have literally THOUSANDS of downloads right now... and all are free and will be based on usergroups: ie: some are availble to all registered users - others to paid subscribers only which I will be enetering into the usergroup after I confirm their username and/or payment via out x-cart system