PDA

View Full Version : Not automatically generating new issues

mrdon
10-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Not sure if I have everything set correctly or not, but I want it to create and send out a new issue on a daily basis.

I set cron to yes, and can see it in scheduled tasks, it says it is set to run today at 1:50 pm, that time came and went and it still says that. Nothing in the logs either.

When I manually create an issue it sends, but it doesn't seem to do it automatically.

Thanks for any help,
Brandon

Morgan
11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Is $cronimage present in your vBulletin footer template?

mrdon
11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Yes, it is present in the footer. It actually just generated another issue. No idea why it would do it now.

My first issue was generated on: 14:03, 23rd Oct 2009
My second issue was generated on: 12:13, 2nd Nov 2009

I have frequency set to daily.

Also, the other problem I have is that the second issue is exactly like the first, even though there have been a number of new threads, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brandon

Morgan
11-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Leave everything as-is and let's see what is does tomorrow and at what time. Depending on time zone, 1:50PM might be 11:50PM so a run at 12:13PM wouldn't be surprising as the crons are web-based, when someone calls the footer when viewing a page. Did you generate the first issue? If so, it might be that when the cron generated its first issue it was the same, but again let's see what happens tomorrow to make sure the time is about the same time and the content is different.

mrdon
11-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I figured out the problem with the issue being the same as before....I had to edit the default module to select all of the forums I wanted it to use. It looks like only one was selected by default.

Yes, I did create the first issue. I wasn't aware it used a web based cron from the loading of the footer to run. That most likely is the issue of it not creating until Nov 2nd.

Thanks for the help Morgan. The Geek Gazette is better than anything else out there that I have found or tried.

Brandon

mrdon
11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi Morgan,

Is there a way to let my server run these crons, so I don't have to rely on the vbulletin footer?

Thanks,
Brandon

Morgan
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Take a look at the cron files in the /cron directory of the GAZ package. They use vB variables and are coded to work through the vB cron system so there isn't a nice way to move them to a server run cron.