PDA

View Full Version : Scared to send newsletter out!

Morrus
07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm fairly concerned about actually sending out the newsletter. Just to clarify, the situation is as follows, correct?

* GAZ does not handle bounced emails
* Massive numbers of bounced emails can crash your server and/or get you blacklisted
* There are mods for that purpose on vbulletin.org, but they need to be modified to work with GAZ and the GAZ's author is unable/unwilling to handle this.

Does this not make GAZ unable to be used by anyone with a large forum who is not a proficient PHP coder?

Or am I worrying too much? If I send this newsletter, am I going to find myself in a world of hurt?

Ramses
07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
You can try to send it once and after manually disable all bounced emailaccounts.
A lot of work I know but that's the way I did.
I don't think that you'll get blacklisted for the first newsletter.

Morrus
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I have over 80,000 members. Manually doing it isn't a viable option for me.

Morgan
07-02-2009, 04:13 PM
GAZ does not deal with bounced email, but if GAZ did deal with bounced email, the email would first have to bounce for GAZ to deal with it, i.e., the bounce has to first occur. GAZ isn't going to prevent bounced email. The complaint is that there isn't a nice way to unsubscribe a member from GAZ newsletters if his email bounces other than go to that member via the ACP and unsubscribe him after you receive the bounced email in your inbox. In order for GAZ to handle bounced email, it would need to become like an email program, reading your inbox emails to check for bounced email, but GAZ is a newsletter sender, not an alternative email program like Gmail or whatever you use. GAZ sends but does not receive. That said, there are add-ons on vBorg to deal with bounced email. Perhaps either this (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4461) or this (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4348) thread might help you incorporate an add-on from vBorg into GAZ by adding a header to the outgoing email so that, if it bounces back, you can use your email program to unsubscribe the member.

Morrus
07-03-2009, 03:41 AM
I don't think that you'll get blacklisted for the first newsletter.

Well, it's a newsletter. It doesn't only go out once! That would rather defeat the point! :)

Morrus
07-03-2009, 03:46 AM
That said, there are add-ons on vBorg to deal with bounced email. Perhaps either this (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4461) or this (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4348) thread might help you incorporate an add-on from vBorg into GAZ by adding a header to the outgoing email so that, if it bounces back, you can use your email program to unsubscribe the member.

I can't really understand those threads. With all due respect, if I understood them, I probably wouldn't buy your product - I'd write my own! :)

Your market (meaning folks like me) is people who don't know PHP from a can of tuna. Thus we buy prewritten addons.

Why choose not to incorporate those addons into the base product? It would be a great value enhancement and from what you're saying, it wouldn't be difficult for someone like you who understands computery cody stuff, as opposed to your customers who know just about enough to click on the "pay now" link on the PayPal site. Seems like a no-brainer to me! Then again, I'm a marketing guy, not a coding guy. I can sell stuff, but I can't write it! :)

Morrus
07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
In other news... I went ahead, crossed my fingers, and risked it...

I have now discovered that it takes about 18 hours to send out 80,000 emails! Just over 14,000 left to go.

Seems to work just fine. I made the mistake of including my personal email address in the "from" field, though, so all the bounced emails are arriving in my hotmail account. Must remember to change the "from" address!

henrikhansen
07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi Morrus. Can we see your site, eventually by PM?

Morrus
07-04-2009, 12:55 PM
See my site? If you like. It's: www.enworld.org