PDA

View Full Version : vBSeo

Walim
11-11-2005, 11:34 AM
dose anyone here happy with the vbseo Price and also use the Zend ? :rolleyes:

Lizard King
11-11-2005, 01:08 PM
dose anyone here happy with the vbseo Price and also use the Zend ? :rolleyes:
The price is holding me back. My board is not a commercial board and i am not thinking to make it a commercial board. I dont even have adsense enabled on my bıard right now. I am allright with purchasing paid scripts that will add a new look to my board like Gars , vba gallery for a considerable price but i dont think paying the same money as my vbulletin license to a module that only will not give a new function to my members. I am pretty happy with Dean C's modrewrite hack in vbulletin.
Also zend is the second problem. I can't find a usage of this. They expect me to use a code cannot see in my server. How fair is it ? How can i trust them 100% ?

The Geek
11-11-2005, 01:08 PM
I am.

Yes, its expensive but so is vB compared to phpBB :)
As far as Zend, I'm not bothered - a company has too much at stake to try and be devious with encrypted source files. And lets face it, 99% of all programs are encrypted anyway - its just rare to find php files that way.

My only grievence lies in the copyright enforcement. I would easily pay good money for a brand free option. However if it bothered me enough - I wouldnt have bought it. Thats the power of being a consumer!

Lizard King
11-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Exactly thats where i am holding myself back :) I am thinking about it and waiting to see a little more. Let me ask you one think Geek i am wondering about a usage of vbSeo with Gars. Here (http://www.ayyas.com/showthread.php?t=10369) i have a thread about jim morrison and in table of contents i have his writings , biography etc . Will the links in table of contents will be converted also ? This is a important thing for me cause Gars is getting more important with my board more and more everyday :P

The Geek
11-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Kind of. If you mean, does each page have a seperate URL - then no.

Here is a good example: http://www.thenailgeek.com/articles/22255-idols.html

Walim
11-11-2005, 06:49 PM
I am.

Yes, its expensive but so is vB compared to phpBB :)
As far as Zend, I'm not bothered - a company has too much at stake to try and be devious with encrypted source files.

I use phpBB We Get 20000 members when we are in phpBB there is nathing wrong in phpBB but because i'm busy with the army and i have no time every day upgrade my phpBB board because of the security i go ask what is the best source board and i get more voto for vB so that is the only reson i go to vB nathing really wrong with phpBB if we want we can mod it and make it fully modded just like VB largest board in the net use phpBB that if u put all the largest board that use vB togather the Gaia will still #1 :D

also phpBB have the same VBseo 100% do the same job and Free ;)
http://phpbb.start.bg/#SEO

And lets face it, 99% of all programs are encrypted anyway - its just rare to find php files that way.

There is Diffrents if u are talking about programs like PhotoShop and other programs that encrypted u use them for your self in your own computer .. but like a software where you hold All your info and your db and privcy about your user etc.. then i think a problem .. if u can't see the full source code..
see this thread
http://www.vbseo.com/f2/site-down-not-happy-hopefully-vbseo-team-can-offer-explanation-1578/

there is many as well that been deleted from there ..

any company that use to encrypted their php Script they are perty poor company and they dont have alot of people use their software like VB and other company that give u full soruce code ..

i'm %100 with Lizard King the price is really hight and also use the Zend :(

The Geek
11-11-2005, 08:09 PM
I dont have anything against phpBB... its what I started with. I went vB because I wanted a pro approach for my site (and I too got tired patching phpBB all the time).

As far as the thread you linked too, Juan explains it pretty well - its the first time you use it. This is to prevent you from giving it to your friend. Countless programs use an activation policy now.
As far as the difference between an encoded web script and a local application - I think its FAR more dangerous having an encrypted application on your system that could be capturing bank details and CC details. How much is really going to be accomplished captuing a bunch of email addresses when you can go buy in bulk anyway ;)

Regardless - this will always be a contentious issue and one that I respect everyones views on. THe beauty of capitalism is that in the end your dollar decides what will and wont happen. :)

Mirzone
11-11-2005, 09:58 PM
I dont have anything against phpBB... its what I started with. I went vB because I wanted a pro approach for my site (and I too got tired patching phpBB all the time).

As far as the thread you linked too, Juan explains it pretty well - its the first time you use it. This is to prevent you from giving it to your friend. Countless programs use an activation policy now.
As far as the difference between an encoded web script and a local application - I think its FAR more dangerous having an encrypted application on your system that could be capturing bank details and CC details. How much is really going to be accomplished captuing a bunch of email addresses when you can go buy in bulk anyway ;)

Regardless - this will always be a contentious issue and one that I respect everyones views on. THe beauty of capitalism is that in the end your dollar decides what will and wont happen. :)

Can i just ask how much more traffic your site has recieved since you bought it? Whatever i do my site doenst seem to move up the search engine listings

The Geek
11-11-2005, 10:01 PM
To be honest, I havent done much math on it.

However I can say that since I installed it (about 8 weeks ago) I have had at least 5 and upward of 50 instances of Yahoos slurp on there CONSTANTLY. I mean every single minute of the day.
Google is another story. He hasnt really been by so much so I cant say he likes it better or worse.
Apart from those, MSNs on a lot more, and Jeeves is too.

My main focus is google though and like I said I cant provide figures either way. However it is making some difference :)

Walim
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
I have installing : http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91324

it work great .. The Search Engine is eating our board right know :D

also Dean C going to Release a new version ..

kall
12-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I love it. I am a vBSEO fanboy and proud of it...run it on 2 sites.

I had the same experience with Yahoo spiders as Mr Geek did, NZB right now:
Most users ever online was 608, 07-Jun-2005 at 01:24 AM.
kall*, Yahoo! Slurp (60), Alexa, Gigabot (2), Google (2), psbot, MSNBot (2)

Dean's plugin, while good, barely scratches the surface. vBSEO can rewrite ALL of the dynamic urls on your forum. Custom rewrite rules give me the ability to choose whether to call payments.php "purchase.html", "/products/", or "purplemonkeydonut.htm" if I want...all through an easy to manage Control Panel.

It also cleans up html, removing comment code and whitespace, and along with the automatic 'add image dimension attributes' to all images, makes your pages load faster.

The addition of rel="nofollow" to the URLS that you choose, plus the 'force forumroot as homepage' (makes www.site.com/forums/index.php become www.site.com/forums/) allows you to filter PageRank towards the more imortant parts of your site and avoid "pagerank leakage".

There's so much to vBSEO, it's not easy to list them all. :)

Walim
12-15-2005, 06:26 AM
I have installing DC Dean Seo

know almost 3 day in Who is online 5 to 15 Page All is Search Engine .. Such Yahoo/Google and other as well..

vBseo is good but the price and closed source code..

About the price it is not because i can't pay $149 i just feel it is not that worth to pay all that money for small software ..

Lizard King
12-15-2005, 01:37 PM
I wont advice you to go with Dean's hack. I used more then mnth and it is not good.

Walim
12-15-2005, 10:06 PM
I wont advice you to go with Dean's hack. I used more then mnth and it is not good.
why it is not good ?

i dont see any problem in use it .. it work just fine ..:)

Rick
12-18-2005, 05:09 PM
I've gone round and round about buying it. I don't think its worth the price if you ask me. VBSEO costs just as much as vbulletin itself. Just an example: If you cracked the bumper on your car, would you buy another bumper for $20,000 or buy another car for $20,000? I think modifications should cost less than the software itself. To me if they sold it for lets say $60.00, they would sell alot more copies. Theirfore it would result in a bigger profit margin. Thats just my .02 though! Their aiming for commercial boards when their are alot more non-comercial boards.

Look at the Geek Article System for instance, that to me is priced right, priced fair, and is priced so that commercial and non-commercial boards can afford it ;)

The Geek
12-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Look at the Geek Article System for instance, that to me is priced right, priced fair, and is priced so that commercial and non-commercial boards can afford it ;)

But thats because I'm not in this for a business - I only charge a small amount to offset my time and to break free of the greedy slave drivers who think that anyone who codes for vB should do it for them for free (screw em!). Some people cant do that, they need real value for their time.

Its all about volume anyway. If vB sold as much as vbSEO, you can bet that it would be about 10x more expensive than it is now. If vbSEO sold as much as vB, it would most likely go for about $50.
Yes, vbSEO is expensive, yes, I think they would sell more if they lowered their price, however in the end its up to them and finally, up to you. If you can afford the investment and you think its worth it - go for it. If not, they don't get your money :)

Ghostsuit
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
I've gone round and round about buying it. I don't think its worth the price if you ask me. VBSEO costs just as much as vbulletin itself. Just an example: If you cracked the bumper on your car, would you buy another bumper for $20,000 or buy another car for $20,000? I think modifications should cost less than the software itself. To me if they sold it for lets say $60.00, they would sell alot more copies. Theirfore it would result in a bigger profit margin. Thats just my .02 though! Their aiming for commercial boards when their are alot more non-comercial boards.Yeah but would you buy a car for 7k then spend 20k adding alloys, custom paint job, new exaust, engine tune et. Some people do that. Personally I bought 4 license of vbseo and it's working out ok for me I'm still fine tuning but it's been worth it for the less hassle approach. It all comes down to numbers, I make more money by paying for seo and using it due to the time it saves me which I can better use to making me money.

Brent
02-13-2006, 11:28 PM
I've gone round and round about buying it. I don't think its worth the price if you ask me. VBSEO costs just as much as vbulletin itself. Just an example: If you cracked the bumper on your car, would you buy another bumper for $20,000 or buy another car for $20,000? I think modifications should cost less than the software itself. To me if they sold it for lets say $60.00, they would sell alot more copies. Theirfore it would result in a bigger profit margin. Thats just my .02 though! Their aiming for commercial boards when their are alot more non-comercial boards.

149 dollars is not alot of money at all for a business ;)

149 dollars is not a lot of money either for peace of mind which is what I get when I install this and it changes every url I have in all the search engines.

Hanif
02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Might give this a try soon
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104484&highlight=vRewrite

Anyone tried it yet???

Ta,

Hanif

Greps
03-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I think vBSEO is a great addition to any board. some have it for extra traffic, others for more revenue. I use it for the nice and clean URLs. having thread links as site.com/thread/123 is great. I love it. my members love it.

"Focus on the user and all else will follow." (c) Google

Brent
04-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Might give this a try soon
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104484&highlight=vRewrite

Anyone tried it yet???

Ta,

Hanif
No, cause honestly I don't trust a free hack that is not quickly supported to alter every url on my forum.

tormodg
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
We have used vBSEO for a few months now and are really happy with it. Pricewise it may seem steep but it's an excellent piece of software.

My only gripe with it is that if your license is somehow messed up (we had this happened when we moved to a new server), it replaces all your pages with a "This board is using an unlicensed copy of vBSEO"...which was pure bull. But to their defence they replied to my desperate support ticket within 5 minutes...in the middle of the NIGHT!

I'd also pay for a no-brand version, though.

The Geek
04-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow, talk about name and shame :D

I too would pay for unbranded. Not having a choice actually irks the hell out of me (and the reason why I only have it on 1 site). It actually brands every page irrespective of rewrites.

Also, I may be wrong, but I think there is currently a potentially serious performance issue. In fact, very soon after upgrading to 2.4, I needed to urgently upgrade my server. 100 people on line brought my 3.4ghz 1gig p4 to its knees which just plain shouldn't happen.

That said, all in all I rate their service as best as you can get and their product very much worth the investment.

tormodg
04-25-2006, 07:28 PM
For several hours today we had 100+ people online on an AMD 3400+ 1Gig box and we didn't experience any performance issues.

But there's nothing but the forum on that box so there's not much else for the processor to do. :D

The Geek
04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I think there is currently an issue with 2.4 and larger sites.

Cole
04-27-2006, 01:32 AM
No, cause honestly I don't trust a free hack that is not quickly supported to alter every url on my forum.

I helped code that. :p

I can understand lack of support. But, I don't understand how people think something is better because it is more expensive. :eek:

MrGeeK
04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Have to agree on yahoo loving vbseo...I can't keep the damn thing away...had a 130 odd of the buggers on it the other day...

I would prefer if I could see the src code, but I can live with it being encrypted.

There are lots of windows based/java based/etc web apps that you can't get the source too, why should we be extra worried about php scripts?

Authors of software have the right to encrypt, users have the right to reject. (but IMHO it's silly to reject because of encryption)

Rated
05-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Hmmm... I was also going to purchase VbSeo, i went charging off to there site and saw the price... i thought, why pay that for some re-writeted urls, then for the forum its self...

Anyways i tryed some free ones (vRewrite) being one of them, frankly it puts a crappy copy right on ur footer that potentially can ruin the looks of ur forum :p - IT allso puts the titles in ur urls, with F- at the start for forum, and t- for thread.

Anyways, i found an awsome FREE mod re-write, - it seems to me, after very little research, that urls with numbers in get better SERPS than urls with mass keywords in, especially for google. Check my forums url ~ http://forums.gamelair.com/forum30.html <-- that to me is perfect, not too long, not over doing the keywords - And like i said, it tends to do better in google, and at the end of the day google is #1 forget the other engines!

So, i wouldn't splash out on VbSeo - if it was 50-100 id think of buying it, but why waste that much money when you can get a free alternative?

P.S geek sell me Gars pro!! :)

tormodg
05-02-2006, 06:05 AM
We rank excellently in Google with vBSEO though, so I think it's a matter of chance and luck who indexes your site in the first place.

I frankly think vBSEO is decently priced - it's there for a specialty market after all - and it's obviously selling well. Someone will always choose the cheaper or free alternatives, and that's good (it's called competition). ;)

gothic
05-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Anyways, i found an awsome FREE mod re-write, -why waste that much money

when you can get a free alternative?

P.S geek sell me Gars pro!! :)

Erm, don't suppose you'd care to share please? :D

Rated
05-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Erm, don't suppose you'd care to share please? :D
Why not? (http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread35147.html) Even though it's #1 on google for 'vbulletin mod rewrite' :)

gothic
05-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Even though it's #1 on google for 'vbulletin mod rewrite' :)

Thankyou
:D :D I'm one of those blinkered types, didn't think to search outside vb.org :o

Rated
05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
He he, Well that mod-rewrite is excellent. It takes 5 seconds to get it working, and it'll improve Ur SERPS for free! what better :D

Brent
06-14-2006, 07:55 AM
I helped code that. :p

I can understand lack of support. But, I don't understand how people think something is better because it is more expensive. :eek:

It is better for one. Just take a look at the feature list on top of the rewrites that it does 100% correctly without a doubt in the world :) Not to put you or your hack down but for the 150 dollars I pay I get more than just rewrites. With yours I simply get rewrites, the rest is up to me to spend my time learning how to do what VBSEO does. Time = money. Best 150 dollars I ever spent. It doesn't matter to me honestly if no one else buys it :) That just means I get the advantage over everyone else ;)

CAMS
07-04-2006, 01:07 AM
old thread but thought id have a say :P

ive not got vbseo, altho was thinking of getting it. but realy warey of installing hacks as dont like when things go wrong lol

but for not havin it or any other mods for seo ive still managed to get page rank 5/6 (dunno if thats good or what) and on first page of google for the exact keywords i wanted.

and that was without even trying. so cant be that hard to get a decent result on google.

tbh if i wasnt saving for a new comp i probly would have purchased vbseo.

one question how can u get the number of pages google as indexed off your site? i dont know much about all this seo crap lol

ive always got the spiders on my forums nearly 24/7 normaly 4 or 5 (when boards are dead) and if i start posting threads they start flooding the place left right and center.

Rated
07-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Goto google, and type site:yourdomain.com ;)

Lizard King
07-04-2006, 11:37 AM
old thread but thought id have a say :P

ive not got vbseo, altho was thinking of getting it. but realy warey of installing hacks as dont like when things go wrong lol

but for not havin it or any other mods for seo ive still managed to get page rank 5/6 (dunno if thats good or what) and on first page of google for the exact keywords i wanted.

and that was without even trying. so cant be that hard to get a decent result on google.

tbh if i wasnt saving for a new comp i probly would have purchased vbseo.

one question how can u get the number of pages google as indexed off your site? i dont know much about all this seo crap lol

ive always got the spiders on my forums nearly 24/7 normaly 4 or 5 (when boards are dead) and if i start posting threads they start flooding the place left right and center.
vbseo doesnt increase your google page rank at all. vbseo helps your board ge better indexed. For example i purchased like 5 months ago and that time i had 22k results in google for site:ayyas.com right now i have 102k results in google. Also vbseo has a lot of features that helps your boards threads get better page ranks with pingback trackback feature you can trackback any url or notify any page you want which will help you increasing your thread page ranks. Also thread names are entered as keywords in meta tags which also helps your board to get better indexed in search engines.

CAMS
07-04-2006, 03:54 PM
lol just checked how many indexed pages i had in google.

you are all saying in the k's

mine is only 663 LOL

*goes away to cry*