PDA

View Full Version : The Pipeline

The Geek
11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Just in case anyone is curious as to what I have in the pipeline, I thought I would give you a run down and quick preview.

This week I am phrasing GARS and creating documentation whilst bugs are found. Its my goal to have a solid gold product this weekend.
At the same time, I am turning some attention to GeekMart to get that to its next Beta (Beta 4)
Ill then turn my hand toward GAB to bring to RC
Ill then look to introducing a new version of GAL with a glossary feature (to allow users to browse GALS, maybe even enter their own)
Ill be unleashing Geek Gazette which I am prototyping right now (based on the GARS module system... pretty nifty stuff). You can get a sneak preview by clicking here (http://www.thevbgeek.com/newsletter.php?id=2).
Ill be developing GUSH (the UI for GAL, GAB and GeekMart)
Ill be then looking at GeekBay (however looks like it'll have to be called GeekBid :( )Anyhooo. Theres my diary for the next 6 years ;)

Lizard King
11-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Is Geek Gazette going to be like a cms for vb ?

DerTobi75
11-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Is Geek Gazette going to be like a cms for vb ?
Naahh, looks like it becomes somekind of a Commbull Clone?!

Regards,

Tobi

eko
11-08-2005, 03:42 AM
sounds good geek,

have you thought about selling them all together as a package posibly discounted a little? :)

gldtn
11-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Great :) I mean awesome.. will be looking forward to the geek gazette

;)

The Geek
11-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Geek Gazette will be a newsletter system.

I used commbull in the past however I had to hack it to death to do what I was after. The amount of time I spent on it - I could of almost written a custom one. Commbull has been ported to 3.5 and although its a little more functional - Im going to have to rehack the hell out of it to do what I want it to. Therefore I decided to simply write an emailer based on GARS module system. That way you can add as many modules as you want wherever you want.

For instance, I like to have a block that shows any news items since last visit along with new tutorials and new articles (seperate from one another).

Then a block for the hottest threads, one for stats, a random poll, and any new polls since last visit. I also want the option to automatically send out mailers daily, weekly and monthly.

Anyhooo... As a prototype, its already come together pretty easily so Im pretty excited. And yes, I suddenly thought 'holy crap, this could easily be a portal too' however I doubt ill dev it specifically for that. Too much to do right now and there are already plenty of great options out there for that.

Brent
11-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Geekbid sounds good :)

gldtn
01-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Geek, actually a Portal where each user is able to set the position(move it to top/bottom/right/left) of each module/blocks would be quite nice feature and stand out from the others. Maybe Geek Gazette should allow users to do that aswell?