PDA

View Full Version : GAZ and multiple languages

peterska2
05-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey,

I've been looking at GAZ and the only thing stopping me from getting it for one of my sites (ironically the one that it is the top of the list of for new purchases) is multi-language support in a UTF-8 environment.

The site that I am considering it for runs in 12 different languages including RTL and LTR languages.

Does GAZ send correctly when UTF-8 languages are used?

Does GAZ detect the users language set in their preferences and send in this language?

Has anyone got any experience of RTL versions of GAZ that they can share or GAZ in languages such as Traditional Chinese, Hebrew, Simplified Chinese, Arabic, etc?

Does GAZ send correctly in RTL formats?

Morgan
05-16-2008, 04:48 AM
If your members have selected a language, then GAZ will use that; otherwise GAZ will use the default language you selected in the vB options. GAZ also utilizes the vB fetch_stylevars function to determine text direction for HTML output. There have been posts about certain characters not showing correctly, and my longer response to that is here (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4256) but briefly, the charset used on your site may not be the charset your members' email readers use so it is possible that some characters show incorrectly. Maybe someone who has a UTF-8 forum will come by and give you more feedback.

peterska2
05-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Cheers :)

I thought that would be the case. I'm used to dealing with messed up emails (Chinese and ISO-8859-1 email clients don't play nice together) so it will be easy enough to put a "Read Online" link in them for people that are affected by this.

I can put it back on the top of my priority list again now then :)

MotMann
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
GAZ in german?

Morgan
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Should be fine, any problems with special characters and UTF-8 in email readers, this (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4256) thread shows you how to force the encoding you want.

MotMann
05-23-2008, 06:03 PM
No.. i mean in german Language :)

Morgan
05-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Same answer, doesn't matter if it's French or German.