PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial for GAL?

JustAskJulie
04-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Is there a basic step by step tutorial for using GAL? That mayb explains what things are and how to do them... like what the heck is an ordinal and how do you use it? I feel like I'm just supposed to magically KNOW what to enter where, evidently I'm missing something.

Morgan
04-17-2008, 04:01 PM
GAL does not have a manual. Lack of documentation is an issue listed here (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3834) but creating a readme is on the to-do list.

An ordinal is used for nested keywords and display order. Order is determined by category/keyword so category order 1 is before category order 2, and keywords in category order 1 come before keywords in category order 2, where keyword order 1 comes before keyword order 2 within each category. If 'WORD1 WORD2' and 'WORD1' or 'WORD2' are keywords, use Ordinal so that 'WORD1 WORD2' has a lower ordinal that either 'WORD1' or 'WORD2' ordinals, making the longer keyword parse before the shorter ones.

Some other tips...

Go to the ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Categories, and for each category, make sure all 'Forums' are checked and all 'Usergroups exempt from category' are unchecked.

Go to the ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Categories, and for each dictionary, make sure all 'Usergroups that can view entries' are checked.

Go to the ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Permissions, and for each usergroup and each dictionary, set the permissions as you prefer.

Go to the ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Display, and for each keyword, make sure all 'Auto-link' are checked and the status is active.

Go to the ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Maintenance, and run the two 'Cache' options.