PDA

View Full Version : Can't get it to link

JustAskJulie
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I have everything installed but when i set up my first link it's not linking. At first I thought maybe it's case sensitive and changed it, but still no link. What could I have missed?

JustAskJulie
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Followed the steps in this thread: http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3934
and it allowed one of the two words to I had entered to link (didn't show the image to the left of it) and when i clicked the word it just took me to my forums home page (probably 404). I did not have tha word set to autolink, just wanted it to popup a definition.

The other word i had created was a two word phrase and I wanted it to auto-link but it did nothing.

Is there a step by step instruction manual somewhere for this thing that explains all the different options?

I had an early (much less complicated) version of this a couple of years ago when it was free... I'd be happy with that version now if it would work. All i want is for certain words when typed in the forums to automatically link to my affiliate accounts.

Morgan
04-14-2008, 02:15 PM
1: If 'WORD1 WORD2' and 'WORD1' or 'WORD2' are keywords, use Ordinal so that 'WORD1 WORD2' has a lower ordinal that either 'WORD1' or 'WORD2' ordinals, making the longer keyword parse before the shorter ones.

2: Check the HTML source of the page and/or the ACP 'URL to image' setting to make sure the link to the image is correct. Depending on permissions, you can also add BB Code and HTML to the 'Content' box.

3: Go to the vB ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Categories and under Links use the gal_link_popup template instead of the gal_link_standard template. The standard template is for direct linking whereas the popup template is for pop-ups.

JustAskJulie
04-17-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't understand the "link to image". I don't want to link to anything to an image, I just want to link a word (or set of words) to a URL. I don't even want the popups. Can someone just give me a step by step guide through how to set up basic links using GAL (no popups, no images - just auto-linked words).

Morgan
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
URL to image is for when you want an image in the pop-up, but if you don't want an image or a pop-up, go to the ACP -> GAL -> Categories and change the template listed in the Links column to gal_link_standard instead of gal_link_popup and that should do it.

JustAskJulie
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
still no luck. I've followed all the advice you've given me and right now I only have one keyword (actually a 2 word phrase) set up and it doesn't work. I don't see any point in trying to add more if I can't get the first one to work.

I've only got one category and one dictionary.

My category is set up as follows:
Description: Default
Ordinal: 0
Track Impressions: Yes
Track Clicks: Yes
RegExp: standard
Link Template: gal link standard
Content Template: Gal content basic
Style: Hover (I think that was the default and I really don't know what each of those options do any more than I do any others)
Anchor: Bottom Left
Offsets: 0 (on both)

All forums are checked
Usergroups exempt: None checked

The one word/phrase I have set up is setup as follows:

Title: getting started
URL to image: blank
Show in Dictionary: No
File As: blank (another option I don't really understand)
Dictionary: Default
File Under: #
Auto-Link: Yes
Category Name: Default
Keywords: blank
URL: the url tothe page I want it autolinked to
Ordinal: 0
Ignorethreadid: 0
Maximum Clicks: 0
Maximum Impressions: 0
Expiry Date: blnk
Content: Getting Started

So what am I doing wrong?

Morgan
05-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Keywords: blank
Keywords are the words that you want to link, so in the keyword box enter the keywords for the "getting started" link. Use keyword1,keyword2,key word3,keyword4,keyword5 where space is only used to separate two words in the same keyword and comma separates the keywords.