PDA

View Full Version : GARS Beta 4 Release Discussion

The Geek
10-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Here he is. GARS beta 4. The last beta before we go RC.

Please read the following before installing!

GARS is still a beta and therefore should only be installed by experienced users. Saying that, it looking pretty sweet now.

I have moved the gars directory into the forums/geek folder. This is for much easier management and future code sharing. I would suggest to moving your gars/images folder to geek/gars/images Make sure that the folders are still writable after moving for uploading purposes.

ONCE INSTALLED, DO THE FOLLOWING:
Go into your admincp
Click on Terms. Edit any term. Click save.
Click on Templates. Edit any template. Click save.
This will cache the templates and terms and save you 2 queries.

You will need to re-configure GARS! Don't stress though, its pretty straight forward and most of it will already be configured for you.

This version is almost totally rewritten is large areas. This is now more like what the final product will be like when it goes gold. I have totally restructured the mod and type system to make it much easier to use.

Most known issues have been resolved, though there are some outstanding and a few new from the mammoth recoding. However I feel that this version is as stable if not more so than previous versions.

Ill be updating the module tutorial with the changes to the module system for those of you that have written custom mods. I will also be updating the known issues thread when I get a second.

Please feel free to discuss the issue in this thread. I'm interested to get your feedback.

nJoy

The Geek
10-25-2005, 09:15 PM
New features:

Terms
Keywords are now stored as 'sets' thereby simplifying creation of types. Terms store the keywords like Article or Tutorials. They also store the button names.

Templates
Templates are now stored as sets. Most configurations use the same templates, so it makes sense to group them together so users don't have to re-enter every time they make a new type. There is also a new template 'GARS_showthread'.

Ratings
Think Ive sorted most issues out with any ratings. I want to do a bit more work on the rating modules though.
I also still have to impliment the function to only allow ratings to be made when users comment.

Modules
The module system is totally re-written (again). There are 2 sections to modules: Module Sets and Registered Modules.
All modules must first be registered in order to use them (this hasnt changed from previous versions).
Module sets are a group of pre-configured modules. Each set stores a configuration for showthreadimplementhasn't and forumdisplay and allows easy managment and sharing of modules between types.

Types
These are greatly simplified with the sets mentioned above. A couple features are still not plugged in, however its just about there.
There are a few more options to choose from too:
Limit of threads on forumdisplaymanagement, alphabetical sorting, Auto featuring for x days (this only defaults for new threads and it is the amount of days to feature something via the AJAX auto feature method)
There is also a gallery manager for each type that allows you to upload and delete gallery files quickly and easily.

Thats a quick run down of some of the changes.

nJoy

troller
10-25-2005, 09:27 PM
thanks geek :) you did for sure again a great work. I will install it tonight :)

Rebecca
10-25-2005, 09:52 PM
I've been looking forward to this! Thanks for all your hard work! :D

Rebecca

James Goddard
10-25-2005, 10:02 PM
1. If you add a module to the "bottom" on a set it does not appear on the set page so there is no way to edit/delete it.
2. Also appears that even if you add it to the module set, references do not appear on the edit page.
3. Can't delete the a module set, at least not the default one.
4. Appears to be a large gap above the thread titles on the forumdisplay.

The Geek
10-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Confirmed and fixed.

Download the latest package (Beta4b) and just replace your admincp/gal_admin.php file.

Thanks!

James Goddard
10-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Confirmed and fixed.

Download the latest package (Beta4b) and just replace your admincp/gal_admin.php file.

Thanks!

Which one? I've been adding to the list :).

Nevermind. I can confirm that Number 1 is fixed.

The Geek
10-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Ya, didnt notice you were editing the thread ;)

I have confirmed and fixed #2 and #3 as well. This will require you to download package beta 4c and replace your physical files (specifically only gars_admin.php, gars_class_core.php and references.php).

#4 is a known issue. You cant delete mod sets right now. Either edit them to suit or just ignore them for now.

Thanks for the help!

James Goddard
10-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Ya, didnt notice you were editing the thread ;)

I have confirmed and fixed #2 and #3 as well. This will require you to download package beta 4c and replace your physical files (specifically only gars_admin.php, gars_class_core.php and references.php).

#4 is a known issue. You cant delete mod sets right now. Either edit them to suit or just ignore them for now.

Thanks for the help!

Great. Thanks for the quick response. Number 3 (I think you mixed up 3/4 in your reply) is not an issue for me. I was going to delete the default set and recreated it to get rid of a bottom module, but since you fixed number 1 it's no longer necissary.

I can confirm that 2 is fixed. I'm confused about your post. You said 3 was fixed and 4 was a known issue, however you described 3?

Number 4, the gap, is still there, but that's basicly cosmetic.

Nutz
10-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Would it be a good idea to wait a few days until these and other bugs are found/fixed?

Thanks,
Mat

jlandi
10-26-2005, 01:11 AM
will we loose any of our current articles when upgrading?

eko
10-26-2005, 01:29 AM
dont know if this is a new bug or not but when you click on the I want to rate it! text under reviews it opens a new screen with this page not found http://www.modbox360.com/testvb/reviewrate.php?do=rate&t=

admans
10-26-2005, 05:22 AM
When should we expect the final release?

InfiniteWebby
10-26-2005, 07:34 AM
Well done on the fabulous new admin layout and new features but I have a couple of quarms.

Was something changed that would prevent $post variables able to be shown in added modules and their respective templates?

Because I had a module that would display some quick info about the review like game platform, release date and other stuff from the GARS table but it would also display the title and reviewer (thread poster) and stuff from the post table in the same template. Now that I've upgraded the $post variables aren't being parsed to the template but everything else is.

Also can you PLEASE add a top module position. It's easy enough for me to add but a pain in the arse to do it each time I upgrade.

The Geek
10-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Yea, thats causing a few hicups right now.

The modules now run in a seperate function so most variables are out of scope for the modules now. This is a good thing as it stops people accidently overwriting local variables.
All you need to do is put global $post; in your module and you will be fine.
Im tweaking a couple mods here to sort a few problems that users have brought up overnight before I head off to work.

Im not sure what you mean by a top module. Theres one in there (I assume you mean something else though?)

Thanks

InfiniteWebby
10-26-2005, 07:45 AM
Okalie dokalie. Post variables are working now thank you sooo much. =)

As for the top mod position. This is the beginning of my GARS_pb

<!-- Article #$post[postid] -->
<if condition="$show['spacer']">
$spacer_open
<div id="edit$post[postid]" style="padding:0px 0px $stylevar[cellpadding]px 0px">
</if>
<if condition="$post['GARS_modposition7']">
$post[GARS_modposition7]
</if>
<table class="tborder" id="post$post[postid]" cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="$stylevar[cellspacing]" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
<!-- GAR -->
<if condition="$post['GARS_modposition1']">
<tr>
<td class="alt1" valign="middle" align="center" colspan="$post[GARS_columns]">
$post[GARS_modposition1]
</td>
</tr>
</if>

See how modposition7 is outside the table. =)

Also, what exactly does the gallery feature do, because it doesn't seem to be working for me. =/

Thanksies. ^_^

The Geek
10-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Package updated to beta4b. This primarily addresses variable scope problems with modules. Simply download the latest package and replace the contents of your geek/gars/includes and geek/gars/mods folders.
This will fix 99% of problems brought up over the past night.

Webby: Huh. Uh, its a top secret mod location that isnt used. Dont know why its there. It looks like it was going to be a top level placement. Ill have to look into the code to make sure I dont have it slated for anything.
The gallery feature allows you to upload pictures for others to chose from when making an article. This is for people who operate in safe mode, dont want chmoded folders on their server, and/or people who want a variety of images, but all to stay consistant.
If you cant upload via the gallery manager, then simply ftp images to geek/gars/images/type/(typeid) folder.

HTH's

InfiniteWebby
10-26-2005, 08:00 AM
No that's MY GARS_pb edited to add the top position mod placement. ;)

The Geek
10-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Oh right ;)

Currently, you cant 'create' more mod placements (at least without a file edit). Are you asking for a new mod placement?

w00t
10-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Well I have to say that even though I am not using this right now, it is looking excellent ;) thanks Geek.

GARS is still a beta and therefore should only be installed by experienced users. Saying that, it looking pretty sweet now.

Because I am not an experienced user and this appears very much in beta stages, I will wait until a more stable and maybe user friendly (newbie) version is released, then I will enjoy making good use of such useful addition.

All the best ;)

kall
10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
A possible bug.. look at http://www.nzboards.com/forums/articles/ .. the announcement <td> is all bung in IE.

The Geek
10-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Huh. Its fine with announcements here, however it may be with multiple announcements. Ill check it out tonight.

The Geek
10-26-2005, 12:44 PM
BTW: Has anyone 'discovered' the AJAX Feature function? When in forumdisplay, double click the post icon next to the title to toggle feature/unfeature (you must have the #of days to feature setting in your type set to something valid)

acers
10-26-2005, 02:04 PM
hey didn't see that :P
real nice,

btw geek, i don't see add reps in the tools menu. Did you remove it :s

plus is the user info module plugged in?
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/xfx-7800gt-review-37058.html#post199217

some thing is wrong i think

eko
10-26-2005, 02:05 PM
hmmm even after updating I still cant do a user rating

PaintSplasher
10-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I bought it 5 minutes ago, and will now test it also in detail.

And i will try, to translate it to German for me. Is that ok ?

The Geek
10-26-2005, 02:16 PM
acers - it might be a cope issue for both modules. Ill check into it tonight (most liekly the reason).

eko. I assume your using the latest version? I jsut tested it here on the site and it worked fine.

Paint - You can translate if you want, however its only partially phrased. Phrasing is going to be done mostly at RC stage.

Thanks!

PaintSplasher
10-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I think, I will wait up to the gold(final) version, for translation.
But I wanted to ask before i start to translate it. :)

eko
10-26-2005, 02:57 PM
eko. I assume your using the latest version? I jsut tested it here on the site and it worked fine.

Thanks!

reuploaded all files and it works, I must have missed the file when uploading before thanks :)

eko
10-26-2005, 04:31 PM
sorry a couple other things I noticed, when moving modules around it caused a database error, I went back and reordered and it fixed the proble.

It would also be nice to be able to put the user are author reviews next to each other under the header instead of having them stack so I guess a horizontal layout for that. Maybe even split that category up into a left center right perhaps (not sure how hard that would be).

It would also be nice if you could put reviews and articles in the same category and mix and match them instead of having to assign them to different sections.

Im sure I will think of some more stuff but thats it for now :) overall turing out to be an awsome system

edit: one more thing is there away to retell it to feature an article or review, for some reason it removed the feature status of an article and I cant get it to reshow as a feature

The Geek
10-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Hey Eko,

If you come across the error again, please let me know what it is. I havent noticed any errors moving modules around yet.
Im sure another module could easily be made to combine the 2 review scores together. Though Im not sure what you mean by splitting them.

Are you saying you want a forum to contain some articles and some reviews? I dont think id be able to do that with the way this is. Im not sure how many people would mix articles and reviews in a forum. I think it might lead to user confusion. Or am I misunderstanding something?

There are 2 ways to feature something: Edit it and choose a new date, or double click the little post icon while in forumdisplay. It uses AJAX to feature/unfeature the item (note that the type will need a valid Auto-Feature setting).

HTH's. THanks for the feedback.

eko
10-26-2005, 06:02 PM
split was the wrong word sorry, I more meant put them side by side instead of streatching all the way acros maybe have the option to set it right left center or stretched, but if thats too hard its really not a big deal.

After I fixed the data base error I realized I should have copied the code here for you to view, if it happens again I will. It did fix it to reorder the modules.

I see the ajax thing but even when i double click it and the icon turns orange it still doesnt show up as a featured article if you want access to my site to check it out let me know

drex
10-26-2005, 06:03 PM
does anyone have an examples of GARS working with forums and subforums??

thanks

The Geek
10-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi Drex, here are a couple:

The one here-> http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Another here-> http://www.thenailgeek.com/tutorials/

Dont know if thats what youre after

eko
10-26-2005, 06:30 PM
I think I have it set up like you are wanting on my site as well my site is currently in setup phase but I will be opening it soon.

click (http://www.modbox360.com/testvb/forumdisplay.php?f=2) <= look under reviews
click to see cmps with feature module (http://www.modbox360.com/)

on a side note I remembered what else was bugging me, I dont like the way the output looks when you dont have enough text in your review, I realize that when actually using it this wouldnt be a problem because your reviews should be long enough, but there may be cases where on one page I dont ahve enough info and it would be nice for it to align correctly, you can view an example here (http://www.modbox360.com/testvb/showthread.php?t=76&garpg=3)

it would also be nice for the gallery images not to show if only the default image is in the category, it just takes up a lot of room and would look better the other way, maybe this is already there and I am missing that option if it is please let me know thanks again ~ellie

KTBleeding
10-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Great work Geek.

You have no idea how much I'm DYING to get a home computer just so I can play around with your newer mods.

InfiniteWebby
10-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Oh right ;)

Currently, you cant 'create' more mod placements (at least without a file edit). Are you asking for a new mod placement?

Yah, I've created a new one with the file edit, but not having it there in the future will become a pain in the bum, when it comes to having to continually add it, so if you add it, I would be hugely greatful. =)

benFF
10-27-2005, 07:26 AM
With this update I now lose the border around the post / thread listings...?

It's ok with actually browsing an article though... I have no extras on the forumdisplay thread, just listing the articles (ie no Features, or latest etc)

The Geek
10-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Any way you can give me a screen shot?

benFF
10-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Sure, here you go.

It doesn't matter if there is one article, or loads... never shows up :D

Lizard King
10-27-2005, 08:44 AM
With this update I now lose the border around the post / thread listings...?

It's ok with actually browsing an article though... I have no extras on the forumdisplay thread, just listing the articles (ie no Features, or latest etc)
This only occurs if there is no other module enabled on forumdisplay. Otherwise there is no problem about it.

The Geek
10-27-2005, 09:02 AM
The featured block isnt coming up most likely because there are no featured items. Try double clicking the post icon next to the thread title and then refreshing.
Then check the values for the top modules in your forumdisplay module set.

HTH's

we_are_borg
10-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the new release.

About installing i have only done some testing so the Gars is not beeing used at the moment. Is it better to uninstall the old one and then put the new one in place, or just update the hole thing.

benFF
10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
No sorry, you misunderstand me. I have turned all that of, i just want it to list articles (like it does) however when you do, it loses the cell/table borders (as seen in screenshot...)

The Geek
10-27-2005, 10:03 AM
borg - You can just overwrite it, it will reset all your settings anyway (this version only)

Ben - I see what you mean now. Ill have a play with it tonight and see whats up. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks

Unimatrix Prime
10-28-2005, 03:15 AM
I haven't had as much time to do things as I used to do, so I didn't notice the new beta til today. I must say that this has turned into a kickass product! I like the new look of the article forums (esp. since I have certain usergroups with the permission to feature articles), but one thing I'm wondering is: is it possible to alter the amount of characters shown in in the preview area? I'm just trying to see if I can decrease it so that there isn't as much scrolling to view recent posts. Additionally, a means to split sticky and regular threads (i.e. making stickies more prominent) would be a neat feature :)

The Geek
10-28-2005, 07:32 AM
You can limit the characters in the synopsis in settings. Ill see about the separator - however at this stage I'm gunning for RC like a bat out of hell and I'm only a few heartbeats away.

However my wife is flying me off to exotic Wales today for the weekend so it looks like RC will wait till next week.

Toodles all.

Lizard King
10-28-2005, 07:40 AM
You can limit the characters in the synopsis in settings. Ill see about the separator - however at this stage I'm gunning for RC like a bat out of hell and I'm only a few heartbeats away.

However my wife is flying me off to exotic Wales today for the weekend so it looks like RC will wait till next week.

Toodles all.
Enjoy your time in Wales , gars can hold in beta 4 couple more days ;)

MissKalunji
10-28-2005, 09:36 AM
when i upgraded it took off all my settings and also one of my type

is that normal?

The Geek
10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
For this upgrade, yes. The back end changed too much to upgrade the settings.

BTW: Im not sure if anyone noticed that 4.5 is out ;)

Toodles all

MissKalunji
10-28-2005, 02:17 PM
For this upgrade, yes. The back end changed too much to upgrade the settings.

BTW: Im not sure if anyone noticed that 4.5 is out ;)

Toodles all

awwww okay then

eko
10-28-2005, 02:32 PM
have a goodtime in wales we will be patiently waiting for you when you get back :)

coldblooded
10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Small cosmetic thing, but the spacing for the blocks is a little funky. What template should I look in to fix it up?

MissKalunji
10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
wow after installing i get this :

Invalid SQL:
SELECT t.threadid, t.title, u.username, t.forumid FROM thread t
INNER JOIN user u ON t.postuserid = u.userid
WHERE t.forumid in (-1,44) AND t.threadid IN (-1,4544,4403,4471,4497,4543,4445) ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 0,;

MySQL Error : You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3
Error Number : 1064
Date : Friday, October 28th 2005 @ 01:03:39 PM
Script : http://dancehallareaz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4497
Referrer : http://dancehallareaz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44
IP Address : 24.37.191.104
Username : MissKalunji
Classname : vb_database

kall
10-29-2005, 03:31 AM
Huh. Its fine with announcements here, however it may be with multiple announcements. Ill check it out tonight.
In the template GARS_forumdisplay, I had

<if condition="$announcebits">
<tr>
<td class="alt1" <if condition="$show['inlinemod']">colspan="4"</if>>
.. .therefore, if there were no inline moderation boxes, the colspan was not defined. This is fine in Firefox, but in IE, it made the td only colspan 1..or 2, regardless, it looked bung.

Replacing it with

<if condition="$announcebits">
<tr>
<td class="alt1" <if condition="$show['inlinemod']">colspan="4" <else />colspan="3"</if>> fixed it. This is still the case in the latest product as far as I can tell.

Brent
10-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Small cosmetic thing, but the spacing for the blocks is a little funky. What template should I look in to fix it up?

This is my problem as well.

Brent
10-29-2005, 06:47 AM
If I click Add New under Modules I can not delete what I create

kesomir
10-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Is it possible to disable both the byline and the synopsis in forumview?

If not can I request a "simple" threadbit template that will list all the reviews line by line similar to the standard forumdisplay look, or slightly more jazzy but at least compressed. As it is, it's very hard to scan through all the reviews quickly and easily.

Edit - aye, cheeky request I know :P

PaintSplasher
10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi,

plz have a look to my attachment.

Why is there no "New Article" Button, i have there only
one text-link !

coldblooded
10-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi,

plz have a look to my attachment.

Why is there no "New Article" Button, i have there only
one text-link !

I made New Article, New Review, and Comment buttons for my themes, if yours came with PSDs it's pretty easy.

eko
10-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Is it possible to disable both the byline and the synopsis in forumview?

If not can I request a "simple" threadbit template that will list all the reviews line by line similar to the standard forumdisplay look, or slightly more jazzy but at least compressed. As it is, it's very hard to scan through all the reviews quickly and easily.

Edit - aye, cheeky request I know :P

I think if you go into your gars menus to template in the acp you can change it back to the origonal vb threadbit by taking off the gars_ part and it should call the default threadbit template :) hope that helps

The Geek
10-31-2005, 07:23 AM
Are these 4.0 issues? This is going to get kind of confusing so Im actually going to close this thread.

Those of you using beta 4, please upgrade to 4.5

Those of you having problems with 4.5, start a thread in troubleshooting ;)

Thanks!