PDA

View Full Version : Return of Geekmart Again?

Mythotical
12-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Ok since I just found out the news about Morgan taking things over, I PM'd her, regarding my status as developer of Geekmart, therefore we shall see what goes on from there.

If all goes well, GM will open up for sales again, and I can get my fixes into him for review then addition to the current release.

Please be patient as this process is a grueling one but well worth the wait.

Plus, I don't expect an immediate response from Morgan as I know he has a few things to get cleared up here first.

Cheers to all
Steve

DMH
12-21-2007, 01:34 PM
aahhh good news, I never put mine up live for fear of something not working right and not having support. I look forward to getting it going, my members are asking to buy things.:D

KenDude
12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Looking forward to someone supporting it since it still has some problems. I have members who place orders that never show up, and the order list when you click on it shows you nothing about the order, as well as the address that is captured from the buyer is MISSING the state entirely! Despite these issues I have been running it for awhile now because I can't find anything else to do what I want it to do, a shopping cart integrated with vbulletin, is that really so much to ask for??? :)

Welcome Morgan, now get to work!!! :)

Mythotical
12-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah I know about those problems, a few I still have yet to solve but the others have been fixed in my version. We'll see if Morgan keeps me or can's me.

Morgan
12-30-2007, 06:41 AM
... We'll see if Morgan keeps me or can's me.
Hard for me to 'can' you when I didn't hire you. :D

Seriously though, any special arrangement made between Mythotical and The Geek will need to be finalized with The Geek, as I was not a party to that arrangement. As for ongoing development, if what I have done so far is any indication, I've already made a number of changes that should get rid of several bugs. A new version of GARS is almost ready, and other releases will follow, so I'm not in need of any assistance at the current time. Plus, it's not going to help me get a complete handle on the code if someone else does things for me. That said, I completely understand the frustration felt because things have been down for so long, but rest assured, things will improve. http://www.thevbgeek.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

StuntFactoryX
12-30-2007, 07:12 AM
well its exciting to see that geekmart is returning. i know there is alot involved in the behind the scenes stuff and thats none of our buisiness.

my only concern is the geek had very limited time for gm and it seemed that gars was a more popular script and bigger priority. i hope that the development or interest in gm continues and dont get put on the back helf as we are very limited to a shopping cart solution for vb.

and if myth dosent continue i would say it was a pleasure and thank you. he was very responsive with support, bugs and feature suggestions.. he brought back interest in what i thought was a dying script. its a shame and we did alot of beta testing and i really though we were close and heading in the right direction.

Mythotical
01-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Morgan, if anything, keep me around as support for now until your used to the code then I would be very happy to return to coding on GM again. Right now my time is takin up by a large project on hand which will just be left with NMAPS so coding GM would be hard for me anyway. So I just ask that you contact me via PM with messenger contact information or at least a phone number so that we can discuss things further and not have to do it in the public forums. BTW, I do need you to contact me regarding GLIC so if you could do that ASAP. I would appreciate it, more details in private.

@Stunt: If anything, I will try to stay around as support until Ms. Morgan is used to the code and feels I can go back to coding GM as well my newest project is released and I can go back to coding on it. LOL

Cheers and thanks
Steve

JulianD
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I'd love to see GM alive... I bought it even when it was alpha and it didn't work at all, but I didn't loose faith on it because it's the only shopping cart option for vbulletin right now.

Phrost
01-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Same here, although I didn't get a chance to purchase it.

Mikaelweb
01-13-2008, 11:59 AM
GeekMart when is the new version done ?

Mythotical
01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Whenever Morgan gets a chance to go through it and update code if he feels it needs it, etc.

Kreativmind
02-11-2008, 09:12 AM
any eta to new version

Morgan
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
No ETA but when it's ready it'll appear here (http://www.thevbgeek.com/geekmart.php).

antivirus
02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I have to say, I have checked in here for the last year or so every couple weeks to see if it's avail for sale yet. It's all I wanted for Christmas, but santa said it wasnt avail :)

I would love to see GeekMart available again. I had purchased it a long time ago, but it was the day TheGeek took it off the market and my pmt was rejected, so i missed out my skin of my teeth! Grr... so i have been patiently waiting it's availability for a long time.

Morgan, are there any plans for further developing this modification anytime within the next month or so?

Morgan
02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Both GAZ and GMart are undergoing changes and will again be available when they are ready. As to specific time frames, that I cannot say as it depends on how the development comes along.

vBcustompixel
05-20-2008, 07:17 PM
any eta to new version

Morgan
05-21-2008, 07:26 PM
GAZ is up, GM is next. As to specific time frames, that I cannot say as it depends on how the development comes along.

callumbush
06-21-2008, 04:30 PM
GAZ is up, GM is next. As to specific time frames, that I cannot say as it depends on how the development comes along.

It would be really good to have an update on this.

All projects have required timelines so we need at least a rough idea of when your product will be ready :) I am going to have to find another option otherwise

Morgan
06-21-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4288

callumbush
07-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Morgan,

Cheers for the update on that other thread :)

I've been thinking about what really really useful stuff I would personally like in the next release. These may already be in it (I cant find a spec list), but if not, I am very hopeful that people will agree with me!

What: An automatic mailing list compiler
Why: With hundreds of orders in a short period of time anticipated for my product, it is far too labour intensive to enter the customer's details into a database to use as delivery details for the product/for future promotions

2. To be able to run reports on customers who purchased a set product/group of products, within a defined time period.

3. Compatibility with Google Checkout

4. To have 'hidden' products that can only be found through a specific url.

What: After the customer purchases a specified product/group of products/an order that doesn't not contain a certain product, for them to be redirected to a page that tells the customer why they really should purchase a certain product(s).

There should also be the ability for the seller to offer them a special offer on that product(s) (i.e. using the hidden deal idea again).

....you see this kind of thing a lot on 'get rich quick websites'.

It is important that you 'push' the product after the purchase, as you don't want to do anything to put off the customer from purchasing. Pushing it after the main purchase does not interrupt their purchase, and therefore does not negatively affect their sales experience....in the long run this is VERY important for repeat purchases/word of mouth (I work in Trading dept. of a large retail company...is it obvious? ;)

Just to put this into context.....
- My product will disable (aka 'unlock') pretty much any cell phone from being 'locked' for use with a certain phone network operator.
- A fantastic add-on sale would be for them to purchase a 'Sim4Travel' phone sim, which allows them to make really big savings on calls when they travel abroad. They can't use it unless their phone is unlocked to all networks.

Why: Good for the customer, good for the seller. Increases customer feelings of 'closeness' with the seller.

Hope you like!!

Callum

callumbush
07-02-2008, 01:48 AM
...also(!)

1) Some kind of stock control system so that you can input how much stock you have to sell (and update it when you get more in), and with every sale the stock level goes down.
....and the ability to be able to enable a settings where:

a) The product becomes unavailable for sale when it either i) runs out of stock, or 2) runs up a certain number of backorders.

b) An automated email is sent to a pre-specified email address telling them to hurry up and get more stock! (once stock levels hit a pre-specified amount for the respective product). It would be even more impressive if it was able to calculate a sales forecast and then use that as a deciding factor in when it emails a stock alert.

2. To be able to view visual charts/summaries of these stock sales forecasts.

callumbush
07-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Sick of me yet?

;)

Morgan
07-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Sick of me yet?

;)
The merge posts modification came to mind. :p :D :)

KenDude
07-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Morgan,
Enjoy the holiday then when you get back please release Geekmart! :)

KenDude
07-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Are you still on holiday? :)

Just checking in to see if you are ready for me to start testing Geekmart yet.

Morgan
07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I returned on Monday, just as I said I would, and I'm not looking for any testers at this time. If/when I need any more testers, I know where to look.

KenDude
07-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Ok stares around at stuff to send out and shrugs.... ;)

KenDude
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Morgan,

I just got word today that we are going to run our annual calendar sale again this year (I used geekmart for it last year) which means we'll have at least 200 new orders coming into the Geekmart system. I'd really love having some fixes in place before this starts because otherwise I have to transfer order details for each order individually to a spreadsheet to send to the calendar maker who is making and shipping them to the buyers and doing that 200 times isn't really something I'm looking forward to. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated, heck I'll send you a calendar! :)

Morgan
07-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Understandable, and I'd love to be completed with the new version so you could use it, but it is not quite ready. Once it is done, an announcement will be posted.

KenDude
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Understandable, and I'd love to be completed with the new version so you could use it, but it is not quite ready. Once it is done, an announcement will be posted.

Morgan, I fully understand but is there any chance you can give me a ballpark as to when something might be available such as (in 30 days, in 60 days, in 90 days) etc? I certainly wouldn't hold your feet to the fire, but it would give me a way of estimating and deciding how to process the orders. For example if you said 30 days I'd probably hold off on using the current version and just wait, if you said 60 days it could go either way, if you said 90 then I would almost certainly use the existing version. Thus, I'm hoping you can give me alittle guidance that will help me, if you need to do it privately hey that's fine with me I can keep it to myself.

Morgan
07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
What I would recommend is to wait for as long as you are comfortable and run your annual sale when you need to run it.

Riki
07-25-2008, 12:45 PM
So another words 30, that's great news! ;)

Riki
07-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Morgan, I know you would hate me if I asked when gmart will be released, so I wont go there.
However I was hoping you could tell us what features/changes will be in the release that is different then the beta 6 version. Ive read over a lot of old posts and stuff and I was just wondering if you will be changing anything or just fixing tons of bugs.
Thanks for the hard work,
Riki

Morgan
07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Bugs, bugs, bugs.

toibs
08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Morgan,

You have a month to release it... (only because thats when my current licence runs out!! - you watch it'll be released the day after!).

I'm only joking - just wanted to say many thanks for the continued development, and i'll have no problems renewing my subs for it :)

Best regards
Paul

KenDude
08-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Morgan,

You have a month to release it... (only because thats when my current licence runs out!! - you watch it'll be released the day after!).

I'm only joking - just wanted to say many thanks for the continued development, and i'll have no problems renewing my subs for it :)

Best regards
Paul

You know you bring up an interesting point and something I didn't realize until I checked but my Geekmart license has now expired without the update being released. Will I renew my license? Sure when the new product is released, so there's some added incentive for Morgan, when the code comes out more $$ from me will be coming Morgan's way, so now I'm dangling 10's and 20's in front of Morgan's keyboard and shouting "code faster! code faster!" :)

mnm
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
this is taking forever.... :)

KenDude
08-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Morgan,

Just checking to see if you are any closer on this. I also wanted to ask if there are going to be any other payment processing capabilities besides PayPal?

Sincerely,
Ken

Riki
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
There is a new cart out by vbcover called vBcart, looks interesting with tons of neat features. However it doesn't have any kind of support of physical shipped goods. It looks like only Geekmart will be able to handle everything! :)

I dont want to post a link to it here with fear of getting banned :p However it should be great Morgan for you to check it out and get ideas for features and stuff like that.

Keep up the hard work!
- Riki

Morgan
09-01-2008, 12:09 AM
FYI, I had hoped to release GMart the week of the 11th but it didn't happen. Some RL stuff I absolutely had to do got in the way, haste makes waste, but now that those RL demands are over, I suspect that things will progress nicely. 2CO might be added if I get it to work correctly.

KenDude
09-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Cool, I have been holding off as long as possible with our big annual calendar sale, our photo contest ends in about 10 minutes so sometime this week I need to put the calendar up in store for pre-orders. Any chance we might see something this week? :) :)

KenDude
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Morgan,
Not to put any pressure on you but at am almst at the very end of my time that I can wait to start selling our newest calendar in our shop and I would REALLY like to have the new Geekmart in place before doing so, any chance that I can get it within the next couple of days???

Riki
09-05-2008, 01:41 AM
That would be sweet!

I have a question, on the product description page in Geekmart, for example here:
http://www.thevbgeek.com/geekmart.php?do=displayproduct&id=5

Will we be able to have the option to use html here? It looks like its only using bbcode here, but it would be Great! to be able to use custom html to display product information.

Also I was wondering if you could move or remove the side bar, mainly because its small and eats up a large part of the screen.

Morgan
09-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Next couple of days, probably not, and unfortunately questions about GMart will need to wait until the product is complete so that answers match with what the final product offers.

Riki
09-10-2008, 04:17 AM
One thing that I would absolutely LOVE is the ability to "add 1 to cart" from an external link. So if on the homepage I want a simple add one to cart button it would do it without even taking them directly to the product page.

Please Please tell me this will be possible, even with small modification that would be fine.

KenDude
09-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Well I held off as long as I could but we had to go live with the order page today for our calendars. I hope that the new Geekmart comes along before I have to SHIP these! :)

KenDude
09-16-2008, 06:26 AM
FYI, I had hoped to release GMart the week of the 11th but it didn't happen. Some RL stuff I absolutely had to do got in the way, haste makes waste, but now that those RL demands are over, I suspect that things will progress nicely. 2CO might be added if I get it to work correctly.

Morgan,
This post was in reference to August 11th 2008, which you made on August 31st that the R/L issues were over and it was full steam ahead on GMart. We're now a couple of weeks beyond that, any chance we might see Gmart within the next 2 weeks?

Morgan
09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Sorry, but I don't give ETAs. If I put a date out there, and then miss the deadline because of bugs or whatever reason, people might be disappointed or upset. GMart wasn't ready for release in August, so it wasn't released. Work on it is progressing. It will be released when it is done. If anyone absolutely must have a yes/no answer to "is it going to be ready by such and so a date" then the answer is going to be no.

KenDude
09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Morgan,

Understood, I'm not asking for a specific date, only trying to judge whether or not I must once again manually process all of my gmart orders in terms of getting mailing labels set up and correcting the lack of the state missing on each gmart order email, etc.

Orders are going to start being stuffed on either Oct 2nd or Oct 3rd, so if a new gmart were out before then, I might be able to take advantage of it to cut the manual labor necessary for these current orders. If gmart isn't out by then, I need to budget the time to do all that manual work. Feel free to send me a PM to let me know how I should be budgeting my time. :) To play it safe I'm sure I'll budget the time to do it manually, but it sure would be nice to get some of that time back, I'm already nearing 60 orders in the past couple of days since we put the calendars up for sale and I'm hoping to have 100 by the time we start filling orders on the 2nd or 3rd. At say 5 minutes each of manual processing that's 500 minutes or over 8 hours of extra work I'll have to do if the new gmart isn't ready by then, that's all.

KenDude
10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Here we are more than a month later and I'm stuffing envelopes manually and hand-correcting gmart order details to get mailing addresses right on hundreds of calendars... joy joy!

KenDude
10-22-2008, 10:16 PM
BTW, I'd like to request that the shopping cart system work with Authorize.Net, vbulletin.com already does and I signed up for Authorize.net and use it for membership items and other items outside of Geekmart, it would be nice if the new Geekmart could use that in addition to PayPal since PayPal is now charging 3.65% whereas Authorize.net is 2.19% to process credit card transactions.