PDA

View Full Version : Installed.... but a few questions

brihan
07-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Thank you Geek for another great program! Worth every penny to me.

The program installed without a problem and I am learning how the program works. So far, all is great.

I do have a few questions that I can not find the answers to.

1) I ordered the non-branding version but it shows "Powered by Geek Gazette 1.0.0" at the bottom. How do I remove that?

2) In the template I'm using "Thread Block With Preview". In the newsletter output the "Preview" is the first 30 words of the first post in the thread. That means that next week's newsletter (if there have been replies to that thread) will have the exact same topic and same preview as the week before. Can (or could) the preview be the first xxx words of the latest reply rather than the first xxx words of the first post? This will keep the info fresh.

3) Unsubscribe and unsubscribe verbiage: One requirement on my site is that all registered members will receive the newsletter. If they do not want the newsletter then their registration/membership is canceled.

a) Can I be notified when someone clicks on "Unsubscribe" so I can then manually delete them?
or
Can I change the link on the "Unsubscribe" link so it just opens an e-mail and they can request to unsubscribe and I will delete their account?
or
Can the "Unsubscribe" automatically delete their registration/account (if I could be notified of this too that would be great)?

b) Where do I change the verbiage of "Unsubscribe" so I can put something like "Unsubscribing from the newsletter will delete your registration/membership on this site"

4) Editing the newsletter: Sometimes there are things posted on the board that are not bad enough to have to moderated and/or delete however I don't want to drive traffic to the thread through the newsletter. Anyway to generate the newsletter, edit, then send? I know that takes some of the great automation out but I think it helps to produce a quality newsletter by knowing what you are sending.

Sorry for all the question. Hopefully that is all I have (for now ;) ).

I'm looking forward to sending out my first newsletter with this system on Friday.

The Geek
07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
1) I ordered the non-branding version but it shows "Powered by Geek Gazette 1.0.0" at the bottom. How do I remove that?

You currently have to edit your gaz_html/text_footer templates

2) In the template I'm using "Thread Block With Preview". In the newsletter output the "Preview" is the first 30 words of the first post in the thread. That means that next week's newsletter (if there have been replies to that thread) will have the exact same topic and same preview as the week before. Can (or could) the preview be the first xxx words of the latest reply rather than the first xxx words of the first post? This will keep the info fresh.

Its a good idea, but it cant be done as it currently is. Personally I would find it even more confusing to get the last x characters of the last reply. Especially if it was a 'I agree' post :)

3) Unsubscribe and unsubscribe verbiage: One requirement on my site is that all registered members will receive the newsletter. If they do not want the newsletter then their registration/membership is canceled.

a) Can I be notified when someone clicks on "Unsubscribe" so I can then manually delete them?
or
Can I change the link on the "Unsubscribe" link so it just opens an e-mail and they can request to unsubscribe and I will delete their account?
or
Can the "Unsubscribe" automatically delete their registration/account (if I could be notified of this too that would be great)?

hmmm.... The best I can offer at this stage is to use the subscription search system to see who isnt subscribed. Ill put a hook in the unsubscibe area if you put it in the feature request area of project tools for me :)

b) Where do I change the verbiage of "Unsubscribe" so I can put something like "Unsubscribing from the newsletter will delete your registration/membership on this site"

Search your phrases :)

4) Editing the newsletter: Sometimes there are things posted on the board that are not bad enough to have to moderated and/or delete however I don't want to drive traffic to the thread through the newsletter. Anyway to generate the newsletter, edit, then send? I know that takes some of the great automation out but I think it helps to produce a quality newsletter by knowing what you are sending.

If you set the newsletters to make the issues 'inactive' after subscription you can do this. Only problem is that you can't really edit the content of the newsletter, nor can you currently exclude threads. However the latter is a nice suggestion!

I hope that helped and I hope you dig Gaz :)

brihan
07-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks Geek!

Just to clarify

Personally I would find it even more confusing to get the last x characters of the last reply. Especially if it was a 'I agree' post

It would be the FIRST x characters of the last post.

I do agree that the "I agree" or "thank you" post would be bogus but that is where editing the newsletter (by text edit or just deleting that thread) would come in handy.

Your other suggestions will help me out. I will change the "Unsubscribe" text to remind them that their account will be canceled and then I will just do a search periodically for members not accepting the newsletter and delete them.

Is there a way to take the "GAZ Subscription Options" out of the members profile area so they could only unsubscribe by the link in the e-mail?

I know you have better things to do than answer my nagging questions but if you get a chance any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

The Geek
07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey Brihan, it's no trouble really :)

I suppose you could always manually disable th 2 GAZ - Show Subscription and GAZ - Save Subscription plug ins :)