PDA

View Full Version : How can Users subscribe?

Julian
05-18-2007, 01:35 AM
I´m a little lost about the question, how users can subscribe. Could you give me a hint? And is there a way to see in the Backend, how many users subscribed to a special Newsletter?

Ah, and one more, just to get clear about what this module does.
When I put the cron active, does GAZ also sent out the Newsletters automatically?

Best wishes, J ulian!

The Geek
05-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi Julian,

If a user is in a usergroup that is allowed to subscribe to the newsletter, then when thye edit their options or register, they will be presented with an option to subscribe to the newsletter and what format they wish to use.

You can also mass subscribe everyone using the admincp tools, however only those in the valid usergroups will get an issue.

Once an issue is generated, it will show how many users are set to recieve the issue.

There are a few cron jobs. One generates data, one that sends data and one that compresses stats.

When the send cron runs, any issues that have not been sent and are active and have people to send to will send the issue out in batches accordingly to your settings.

HTHs!

Darat
05-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Just installed RC 3 but can't see the subscribe option in UserCP>Edit Options?

ETA - Oh just found it in UserCP>Edit Profile - are you going to leave it in that section?

convergent
05-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Don't you have to provide a link on the newsletter to the unsubscribe function in order to be compliant with all the SPAM laws? I know that all legitimate subscriptions I receive always include a direct link to unsubscribe. Personally I don't want to deal with the emails from people that don't know how they signed up for it and have no clue how to update their user profile... as amazing as it seems, there are tons of them out there. And a single one of those people can make your life miserable, if not get you in trouble with the SPAM police. Before I use this, I'd want to have a direct link right in the footer of the newsletter. I have to believe that's pretty easy to do, except that if they're not using the site any longer and don't know there password and all that jazz... I think there needs to be an "unsubscribe" page that doesn't require login, and relies on a unique key or something that's sent in the email to make sure that vandals don't get into it and mess with people's subscriptions.

Darat
05-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm just getting to grip with it so I don't know if it is an option I've just not come across yet but if it isn't I'd certainly like to see it being one.

The Geek
05-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Currently there isnt a direct option to unsubscribe from the service. Ill put one in though.

Julian
05-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi Geek,

I would wish another way of subscribe/unsubscribe. And I think there are some good and easy ways to do so.

The easiest one is by usergroup-management with "direct" links. There is an example at vb.org, where somebody has built up code to put users in usergroups with just a navigation-click.

Look in the attached image. The "Spam-Usergorup" ist a usergroup, which the admin uses by putting people in different usergroups. It is very easy: When the user clicks on "show spam", he is put into a usergroup, when he klicks in "don´t show" he is removed again.

What do you think about a Drop-Down-Menu with all active Gazettes and a little if-statement to have an overview? When the user is in no Gazette-Usergroups then he get´s the following new drop-down-menu in the navbar:

Gazettes
Subscribe New-Users
Subscribe News
Subscribe New Books

When he is in the New-Users and in the News, but not in the New-Books it would look like this:

Gazettes
Un-Subscribe New-Users
Un-Subscribe News
Subscribe New Books

In this way he would have an eady overview about what Gazettes are existing and no need to "search" into the Edit-Profile-Things. It really seems to be hidden there for my opinion.

For the future I wish that there would be an "Gazette-Overview-Page". One page which completely shows all active Gazettes in a table like this:

Gazettes
New-Users, Gazette Description, Subscription-Status, Subscription-Icons
News, Gazette Description, Subscription-Status, Subscription-Icons
New Books, Gazette Description, Subscription-Status, Subscription-Icons

You like that?

Best wishes, Ju lian!

The Geek
05-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback, ill look into these

Julian
05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Great, thx.
I think this is one of the mostly needet Options for GAZ, together with the "unsubscribe-Link" in each mailing.

Best wishes, Julian!