PDA

View Full Version : GAZ Private RC 1 Release Discussion

The Geek
04-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I have just uploaded GAZ RC 1 to the download area for the private testing team.

This release marks a milestone for GAZ development as we exit the Beta stage and enter the Release Candidate stage. An RC release means that the feature set is frozen and as far as I can tell, it is good enough for release. It does not mean that the release is stable yet - it just means that it is as stable as I can tell :)

There were very few issues to fix since last release, it was primarily a matter of finishing the features. Since there is already documentation (though it needs vamping) and it is already phrased (report any un-phrased text), I think we are in a pretty sweet spot to go into gold.

Known issues:

Unconfirmed issue with gmail header from address.
Things to do:

Test around automated sending
Create an exclude/include threadid's field for the threadlist module that will enable admins to include additional threads or exclude threads from list. Ideally I would like to create a data browser/manager however I think that falls out of the scope for 1.0
Work on manual. I am actually going to port it into a wiki (along with my other manuals). If anyone wants to help with this documentation or any other documentation, please PM me :)
To upgrade from Beta 3:

Download the latest package and upload the contents of the upload/forums folder into your forums directory, replacing ALL files
To use the test function, chmod geek/gaz/test folder to 0777.
Upload the product-gaz.xml file into your product manager making sure that you choose the overwrite option.
There are 2 usergroup permission settings now:

Can browse newsletter.php : Allows users to browse active newsletters and issues via newsletter.php
Can use 'email a friend' on newsletter.php: Allows users to send a past active issue from the newsletter browser to an email address.
I will be setting GAZ RC1 up on this site and creating nightly issues to send out to the testing team. Please make sure that these issues are correct. I am doing it primarily to test the automated sending system. Note that I can not do anything if your ISP blocks it due to spam filters or if it ends up in your spam folder. Make sure you check both if you are not getting them.

Please do not post bugs in this thread. Post all bugs in the tracker and start new threads for troubleshooting discussions.

If I do not hear from you over the next week, I will assume you are no longer a part of the private testing team and I will remove the license from your manager to give to another person (which I have already done once :) )

Let's get this baby to gold :)

Thanks.

The Geek
04-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Just as an FYI, If you downloaded the package before this post, upgrage again. I have fixed a bunch of small niggly things I found while testing on multiple sites and configurations.

Hornstar6969
04-22-2007, 06:12 AM
nice work. hope all goes smooth, so it can go to gold soon ^^

nexia
04-22-2007, 10:56 PM
can't make it work after CLEAN install... when i upload the product:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting ')' in /home/nexia/public_html/nexialys/vb/admincp/plugin.php(1941) : eval()'d code on line 129

The Geek
04-23-2007, 07:41 AM
hmmm, works fine on a few sites here. Maybe it was an odd download. Try trdownloading the package?

Milad
04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
This is great news, I'll update it and will set a test daily newsletter.

Tigratrus
04-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Geek, have your newsletters started going out nightly as of yet? We haven't seen any (checked local spam filters), but will check all possible filters if you say that you're sending.

Have done some testing and will report as per usual.

Susan

nexia
04-24-2007, 09:09 PM
hmmm, works fine on a few sites here. Maybe it was an odd download. Try trdownloading the package?

ok, i redownloaded it and now it is ok... installer is ok... don't panic anyone!

The Geek
04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
They have been going out. Last one I got was issue #5 yesterday afternoon. Looks like the next issue will get generated around 1am GMT and then sent out as people come to the site and activate the send cron. It looks like my generator cron may need to be changed to a higher amount?

You can see the last 3 newsletters that have gone out here-> http://www.thevbgeek.com/newsletter.php

There isnt much difference between them though as the snapshots are happening pretty frequently.

You can also take a peek at the documentation here-> www.thevbgeek.com/geeki hell... you can even pitch in :D

There does seem to be a couple of oddities still about but nothing I have had too much time to dig into. I have it set up on another of my very active sites sending weekly issues to 13k members. So far so good but the last issue that was auto generated was blank (but others have been fine) - so there is something happening (or not) there.

Ill be out of town from tomorrow afternon until Friday (maybe Thursday night). Give me a shout if you guys stumble over anything. In the meantime, Im off to go work on GAL some more (I have spent ~70 hours the past couple of weeks rewriting it from the ground up and it is looking sweet) :D

Toodles all

Tigratrus
04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Got Issue 6 and Issue 7. Issue 6 was fine, but Issue 7 was empty?

James and Susan

The Geek
04-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Yup, looking into the blank issues :)

Milad
05-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Everything is OK for me except the blank issue.

The Geek
05-04-2007, 09:08 AM
download the latest version. Its still RC1, but has some fixes for the blank issue. Only thing now is HTML tracking and the newsletter browser.