PDA

View Full Version : Beta 3 Release discussion

The Geek
09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Beta 3 is now available in the downloads section.

Since this is a Beta - theres still a lack of documentation so please make sure you read the following information:

Many parts of GARS have been totally reworked which means you need to make a couple extra steps when upgrading.

To Upgrade, upload all the latest files to their corresponding locations overwriting any previous files.
Go to your product manager and import the latest product-GARS.xml file (choose to overwrite the previous version)
IMPORTANT: Regardless if you are upgrading or doing a fresh install, go to your admincp->GARS->modules page and click To reset ALL modules to the default ones. You WILL lose all your previous module configuration - however they wont work if your upgrading anyway ;)

Please note the following changes to your type templates:

ALL GARS TEMPLATE NAMES (i.e. the recommneded ones) ARE IN PARENTHESIS NEXT TO THE VARIABLE NAME (i.e. they look like this:

Forumdisplay (GARS_forumdisplay)

I strongly recommend using the values in the parentheses (though you can actually use any template!
If there is no value in parentheses (i.e Showthread and Comment Deleted... ignore it... I don't have custom ones for those yet).

If upgrading, you may revert the changes you made to editpost and newthread templates. I'm not using them anymore.

Ill start a new thread outlining any known issues. There are still a few - but the feature set is closing up quite quickly.

I am hoping that we will be in RC by this time next week.

please review the Known Issues thread (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=214).

Thanks and nJoy

Shack Networks
09-26-2005, 05:31 PM
W00T just downloaded and will give it a whirl...

breaume
09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
When I go the GARS section of the admin at the top I get the following error message.

inline_input($name, $value = '') { return ""; } function redirect($do,$stopmessage,$var='') { define('CP_REDIRECT', "gars_admin.php?do=$do"); print_stop_message($stopmessage,$var); } } ?>

The Geek
09-26-2005, 05:48 PM
???

Can you post a screen shot?
Do you have javascript enabled?

Can you try reuploading the files? (may have been a sketchy upload).

Thanks

breaume
09-26-2005, 06:05 PM
???

Can you try reuploading the files? (may have been a sketchy upload).

Thanks

Thank did it looking good

Neutral Singh
09-27-2005, 02:31 AM
The Geek, sorry to bother you so much... :)

In next release, could you also consider introducing stock images like "New Articles" instead of "New Thread" and "Comments", that made a perfect getup in GARS for 3.0.x.

Thanks

Unimatrix Prime
09-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Looks like several of the issues from the previous beta (inline moderation, using quick reply without it appearing as an actual post instead of an article post, that array_merge error I noted, etc.) have been fixed, so while I only installed this minutes ago, it's looking great so far ;)

The Geek
09-27-2005, 06:31 AM
The Geek, sorry to bother you so much... :)

In next release, could you also consider introducing stock images like "New Articles" instead of "New Thread" and "Comments", that made a perfect getup in GARS for 3.0.x.

Thanks
planning on it for next iteration (if I can get somone to donate the images ;) )

TCB
09-27-2005, 08:17 AM
O man..... this looks sweeeeet :D

Would it be possible to have those modules like 'latest reviews' working on vbadvanced? That would make the gars script so much more integrated in the website as a whole.

Another request: sort a particular gars forum on date/topictitle/etc. ? A few GARS forums that I use should be sorted on alphabet by default, while others may stay sorted on reply-date. Wasn't this a feature in gas?

Great job.... I will play with it later today to check out all features

The Geek
09-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Once things settle a bit, Ill do vbaCMPS modules for latest and featured articles.

I was thinking about adding a defualt sort to the type, but never really looked into it. GARS never did it either. Ideally I was thinking about a way to sort alphabetically, however that feature isnt a default in vB from what I recall.

I dont think it should be too big of a deal and fingers crossed may have it as a new feature in the next iteration :)

Neutral Singh
09-27-2005, 10:25 AM
planning on it for next iteration (if I can get someone to donate the images ;) )

:D Well, attached images belong to GARS for 3.0.x from vb.org. I think these should serve the purpose. ;)

Odysseus
09-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm also looking forward to there vB Advenced CMPS boxes. :)

Michael
09-29-2005, 03:38 PM
It certainly looks more professional and almost makes the forum appear alot more detached from the regular forum view which was somewhat viewable in the previous GAS edition(s). Sort of reminds me of the VBA CMPS design ... very nice :)

The Geek
09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
yea, looks far more 'purpose' built than its earlier versions.

Funnily enough, I was thinkning about vbaCMPs on the way to work today. It is somewhat similar in some of its abilites ie modules and in some ways it surpasses it (ie each module is configurable and re-usable). I was even thinking that it wouldnt be hard to include an index.php page that essentailly did the same thing, utlising the module system. Then I though - why bother? vbaCMPS is brilliant and very well written. So I guess ill take it as a compliment ;)

Another thing I was thinking today is:

Does GARS really explain what it is? In other words, you can now (and especially by the next iteration) be able to create custom types for your standard forums. However maybe in these instances all you will want to do is show some featured article, maybe stickies in a floating block, maybe just a navbar to the right, etc...

Maybe you just want to put a custom icon at the top of each forum... heck - the options are really limitless and I dont know if Geek Article and Review system really captures that.

If anyone has any other ideas, throw em on out ;)

Neutral Singh
09-30-2005, 07:57 AM
**self-edited**

The Geek
09-30-2005, 08:05 AM
All of them should be working. Have you reset the modules? (GARS->Moudules Reset to default).

You need to do this with the latest upgrade - then re-enter your modules.

Neutral Singh
09-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Sorry!! In fact they are working like a charm... i had self-edited my last post before you posted. ;)

Neutral Singh
09-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Please dont mind. I just noticed your copyright notice in my forum footer. Dont you think its way too big for anybody's liking? A smaller text message will be look much better i think.

The Geek
09-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Should be the same font and style as the vbulletin logo isnt it?

I could abbreviate to GARS but it doesnt make much sense. Im kind of itching for a new name anyway.

Neutral Singh
09-30-2005, 11:37 AM
How about -> Articles Management System by The vB Geek

Moreover, it should appear only on those pages which have been rendered by GARS, otherwise it may give a wrong indications to vB guys.

The Geek
09-30-2005, 11:42 AM
It should only appear in GARS forums. I think ill change it say $keyword powered by GARS copyright stuff