PDA

View Full Version : Deleted from vb.org

The Geek
08-24-2005, 12:59 AM
Well, a mere 24 hours or so after posting the beta of Geek Auto-link on vbulletin.org, the thread and its contents have been deleted by the admins because I dared mention that it would eventually be a commercial script.

Pretty lame considering all the time and work I have put in to providing free support and free kick ass modifications for vBulletin but I guess rules are rules. Its just sad to see that Jelsoft works so hard to pull blinds over their customers eyes just in case someone else may actually make a buck working on enhancements for their product. Geez, not even Microsoft are so paranoid!

Anyhooo... enough of me being jaded. Anyone wishing to Beta test GAL (or any of my scripts) drop me a PM and ill set you up with access to download. Please note however that it will be a paid script when it goes gold (not like £15 is going to make me money or break your bank account!).

nJoy. Im off to sulk.

GoTTi
08-24-2005, 03:27 AM
what was deleted? i can still see the geek auto link thread:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76054

is this it?

Bad Bunny
08-24-2005, 03:52 AM
He had a 3.5 port of it, which was actually i how I found this place.

Anyway, geek. I am sorry that you are experiencing this, and I hope all the best for you. The amount of time you have given to the vb community is only overshadowed by the quality products you provide for us.

GoTTi
08-24-2005, 04:34 AM
thats bullshit!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94943

The Geek
08-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks bunny - very kind words.

I guess Im over it now. Im cool with the admins request to take it down (though I think the speedy deletion was a bit ott). They are only following orders and maybe this will help jump start a process for commercial modifications to become widelfy availible.

concreteweb
09-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, a mere 24 hours or so after posting the beta of Geek Auto-link on vbulletin.org, the thread and its contents have been deleted by the admins because I dared mention that it would eventually be a commercial script.

Pretty lame considering all the time and work I have put in to providing free support and free kick ass modifications for vBulletin but I guess rules are rules. Its just sad to see that Jelsoft works so hard to pull blinds over their customers eyes just in case someone else may actually make a buck working on enhancements for their product. Geez, not even Microsoft are so paranoid!

nJoy. Im off to sulk.

Think of it as a blessing in disguise! Some of the largest and most successful GNU Projects and Shopping Cart programs have a thriving commercial development community supporting the programs and users alike.

Personally, I'm looking forward to working with your products and purchasing them! Just like I do with vbadvanced, x-cart, and mambo.

Develop on!

The Geek
09-15-2005, 08:06 PM
I figured it was the only way I could continue to code. I dont charge to try and make a buck - I charge so that I can justify the ridiculous amount of time I have spent (and continue to spend) making some wicked vB enhancments. Without going commercial, I would have had to throw in the towel.

Bit of a bummer though - I always got a buzz from releasing massive projects on vB.org ;)

Thanks for your support!

acers
09-16-2005, 06:17 AM
mambo :O
i always tht mambo was free.

But you are right with the commercial part. I got the geek article system and it really is a superb hack. It was free for 3.0x which was itself amazing(when a worse review post hack goes for 100$ i think)
anyway 15pounds is not much for a grt and massive hack as this.

concreteweb
09-16-2005, 04:15 PM
mambo :O
i always tht mambo was free.

But you are right with the commercial part. I got the geek article system and it really is a superb hack. It was free for 3.0x which was itself amazing(when a worse review post hack goes for 100$ i think)
anyway 15pounds is not much for a grt and massive hack as this.

Yeah, I should have been more careful with my sentence structure! I meant the commercial add-ons to many great Open-Source/Commercial projects.

acers
09-16-2005, 05:16 PM
actually mambo has a had a split on this very issue. Anyway looks like the old team is coming back with a better version.
aah going offtopic now..

Rob Locke
09-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Geek, I personally want to congratulate you on going "commercial". There really isn't a good article and review system out there that is ongoing, supported and directly usable with vbulletin.

I remember posting on vbulletin.org a while ago suggesting/asking/requesting you do this and I'm so glad you made this decision. I think that many people will happily pay the token sum you ask for, in return for a bona fide product. You deserve the financial rewards for all your hard development. In return, customers will get a decent add-on.

I am sure you will get many contributions and suggestions for enhancements, etc. and hopefully you'll be in a strong position to respond now, especially if this becomes your "day job" (and I hope it does).

Have you ever seen ArticleLive 2005 from www.interspire.com? I think this is a really good product and was going to buy it, but I shall certainly now wait to see what GARS is going to offer.

Many thanks and best wishes with your new venture!

The Geek
09-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Hey Rob.

Thanks for the support! I doubt this will ever be my 'day job' as that job I love and make a pretty darn good pay cheque at ;)

Ill check out the link you mentioned. Maybe there are a few ideas that can be incorporated into GARS.

Thanks again :)

Blackbeard
09-17-2005, 08:35 PM
well i have paid, so it cannot be that bad.

The Geek
09-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Your support is appreciated :)

Im not charging to make a mint - just to offset my time :)

GrendelKhan{TSU}
09-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey geek!

Just came over here from the vbullsh**t thread! just wanted to throw in my support.
don't let it get to ya AT ALL.

personally, i sometiems PREFER commercial. At least then I know I'm getting something that I can trust and probably get support for....much more so than sooo many other mods.

And say more power to ya for having it.

And I think with so much free stuff around...people are spoiled and lazy and get their panties in a collective bunch when someone mentions commercial. Freeloaders. :p

<<<< now goes to pick with one to buy. ;)

The Geek
09-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey man - thanks for the post and support! vb.org has got me down quite a bit lately. Sad really. I used to love to go there and do what I could to help - but now I feel like mods roll their eyes at anything I post saying 'ooo just trying to make a million off our backs'. pfft. Still - a couple lame mods shouldnt let a whole community down.

nJOy and give me a holler if you need anything!

sketch42
09-20-2005, 10:42 PM
talk about premium hacks ... the hacks that you put out are not just useful and easy to use and install but ontop of all that you can see all the work you put in just making the install package.. i would install it again and again just to read that funny rpg of sorts of an install.. the best time i had Installing ANYTHING!!!!

Plus all the hacks are FULL Featured even GAS which will now be considered the "Lite" vers of GARS is FULL Featured .. ive never seen someone put so much effort to put forth a hack and do it all for free... but understood with all that comes time in making and Supporting the hacks which you do Unbelievably.. so to charge for these hacks is well worth the money.. plus i cant understand why they would take down the beta version of a hack that you would sell... it makes no sense.. because the last update you would make would basically bethe gold vers but called RC# no? and even if that wasnt the case... i know plenty of projects that are still in "beta" and they work perfectly so whats the big deal????

bah sometimes theres just too much politics involved in these forums

tormodg
09-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Geek - finally found your forum again and just popped in to check how things are going. Your GAS is doing great at our forums and we eagerly await vB 3.5 and we'll buy your GAL of course. Good luck and keep up your marvellous work!

Tormod

tormodg
09-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Geek - finally found your forum again and just popped in to check how things are going. Your GAS is doing great at our forums and we eagerly await vB 3.5 and we'll buy your GAL of course. Good luck and keep up your marvellous work!

Tormod

Huh...getting sucked into the hype...I meant GARS of course. But hey GAL is cool too...maybe...uhm...how much was it? :)

The Geek
09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Glad youre here ;)

Well, Im chuffed that everyones pretty supportive and understanding. Ive said it a million times now - theres little to no money in this for me at all. I only do it cause I dig it when other people get a buzz from my work (who wouldnt?).

I feel for many over at vb.org. A couple of the mod staff were doing the best that they could with what restritctions are in place - others just think someones evil for chargin a penny (even though oddly enough they dont mind Jelsoft charging).
Me? I would generally purchase a mack rather that use a free one for reasons that Grendal mentioned.

I hope Jelsoft put something in place to help their customers - professional users are VERY limited having to use vb.org

Until then... who cares? We have a cool place here to focus specifically on making some kick ass enhancements for vB :)

Geek on!

The Geek
09-20-2005, 11:04 PM
GARS and GAL are a paltry £14.95 each :)
GeekMarts a bit more (£24.95) but thats because I plan on that becoming a seriously sexy beast :) (not that GARS and GAL arent!)

tormodg
09-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Until then... who cares? We have a cool place here to focus specifically on making some kick ass enhancements for vB :)

Right on! The irony is that a lot of folks get decent paychecks from their sites yet are unwilling to invest some of it in excellent features.

Anyway, there is room for the freebies and there is room for the commercial apps. :D

But geek, you have this beautiful site but you need to invest in better emotikons. :eek:

tormodg
09-20-2005, 11:12 PM
GARS and GAL are a paltry £14.95 each :)
GeekMarts a bit more (£24.95) but thats because I plan on that becoming a seriously sexy beast :) (not that GARS and GAL arent!)

GARS promptly ordered.

The Geek
09-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Yea - Maybe someone needs to do a vbsmiles.com site to replace the pants default ones ;)

I love vB - but the smilies do kind of let it down.

KW802
09-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Yea - Maybe someone needs to do a vbsmiles.com site to replace the pants default ones ;)

I love vB - but the smilies do kind of let it down."vBSmilies.com" is now taken. :p ... and "vBulletinSmilies.com" was already taken. :(

So what kind of smilies do you prefer? The flat look of the old vB2 style, the color style of vB3, or the large cartoon style of IPB?

The Geek
09-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Have to say - I think IPB beats vb's smilies sensless :)

Do you do styles?

KW802
09-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Have to say - I think IPB beats vb's smilies sensless :)I like IPB's as well but it's a double-edged sword for me: I like them because the larger sizes allows more detail to shown so it allows for a more diverse range of smilies but at the same time the larger size also then presents problems with text formatting. For example, insert a large smilie in the middle of a text paragraph ends up with a line in the middle of your paragraph with extra white space above & below it.

Do you do styles?Yep. But at the current time we're not taking on any major custom projects so we can finish up existing projects. :o If you happen to venture over to CinVin and any of the styles catch your attention just let me know and we can work something out. ;)

tormodg
09-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Simple. We need geeky smilies. :)