PDA

View Full Version : Which English Characters Does GALS support

waltercat
06-05-2006, 02:29 AM
I am trying to cross reference some keywords using GALS and am having difficulty when using certain characters.

I have a keyword field (like vbalinks) that helps organize my info. However these are all words that are used in forums dialogue on the board. I would like the keywords to be somewhat unique so that when they are clicked on they only search the keywords. So instead of just writing "Monkey" as my keyword I am writing "[Monkey]" or "(Monkey)". However these are not working as links. The only one that does is "_Monkey" but that is kinda ugly graphically.

Which characters does GALS recognize? Is it only the Alphabet, Numbers and underscores? Everything else messes with the html, so there are problems?

The Geek
06-05-2006, 08:09 AM
The [ and ( are both special regexp characters with special meaning. You can try to escape them by putting an escape character before them. i.e. [monkey] becomes \[monkey\]

Not sure if that will totally sort it - but it should help!

waltercat
06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
It doesn't work. I wasn't sure if you meant use the "\" in the replacement text or the target text in the forums, but either way it did not work. Actually it really messes up the html in my posts. I guess I'll just have to stick with an underscore. Do any other special characters work?

I figured out that I could have the GAL replacement text be "Monkey" or "Funny Monkey" and then have the subsequent keyword search be "[Monkey]" or "[Funny+Monkey]". However the only way to get it to work was to add a gibberish word (sdfdsfas,) before my replacement text of "Monkey"