PDA

View Full Version : GARS 2.0 Beta 1 Release Discussion

The Geek
05-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Please read this thread carefully before trudging off to download and upgrade!

I the Geek, so do profoundly declare on this day (Independence day in Mexico) that GARS 2.0 Beta 1 shall henceforth be released for all valid license holders to partake.

Please note the following points:

This is the first beta release. Aside from poor documentation, hard coded phrases and some hard coded template elements, I am unaware (as I type this) of any serious outstanding issues. HOWEVER there are bound to be some.
Please refer to thy Bug Tracker (http://www.thevbgeek.com/tracker/index.php)BEFORE installation and also while you are testing to report any Bugs.
Please note that GARS 2.0 is encrypted with Ioncube. You MUST HAVE IONCUBE LOADERS PROPERLY INSTALLED BEFORE INSTALLING GARS 2.0!!! If you do not have the loaders already installed, you can download them by clicking here (http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php). Please note that there are some pre-requisites for ioncube to run (i.e. safemode must be off).
You will only be able to run your package on a local machine OR the domain listed in the license manager (http://www.thevbgeek.com/glic.php). If the domain is incorrect, you must PM me so I can update it (that is, if you want the damn thing to work).
GARS 2.0 is not available via the download link, its only available from the license manager here (http://www.thevbgeek.com/glic.php).
You will NOT be able to revert to GARS 1.0x if you get giddy and install it over an old version.
I would suggest you back up your system before you install.
Documentation is pretty non existent right now. The good thing is that most documentation from the online GARS 1.0x manual is applicable with some exceptions outlined below
Make sure you revert templates if needed after the install. The latest GARS_pb template has a lot of changes to it mostly thanks to LiveWire who put forward a lot of great ways to improve the look and feel.
A lot of phrases are hard coded. As most of you know, I don't fully phrase until RC status.
Read the README for important upgrade/install informationIMPORTANT: I am out of town til Tuesday (like the band!). So support for GARS 2.0 will be... mmm... pretty much non existent. You play with this at ye own peril!

Custom Fields

Yes, they are here! The ability to add extra fields from the admincp instead of making messing mods! There are around 10 different types of custom fields and Ill most likely add a couple more for final release.
I don't have time in this post to go through all of the features, however I wanted to point a few things out that could do your head in otherwise.
Create custom fields via admincp->gars->custom fields
Note that you can not change a field type after you have made it.
After a custom field is created, you MUST assign it to a type for it to be of any use to you. You can assign a custom field to a type via the type editor (admincp->gars->type).
Most custom fields are of no use unless you can see them! Therefore you must register the custom field module. name: Custom fields file:custom_fields.php templates: GARS_custom_container,GARS_custom_date,GARS_custom _input,GARS_custom_text,GARS_custom_textarea,GARS_ custom_thumbnail and any other templates you may want to include.
Once your module is registered, add it to whatever module sets you want
When its been added to a module set, you must edit the module's settings and tick the appropriate fields you want to display in that custom field box. This allows you to group and show them how you see fit as GARS lets you add as many of the same module (with different configurations) as you want.
The module settings allow you to override the container and also the custom fields template used. Leave them blank to use the default ones.I guess that is the most important undocumented bit. I've got to start organising myself to bail down to London. Ill keep bobbing in to see if there are any urgent issues I need to address before I go in the morning but please remember:
I am releasing this now for those experienced GARS users that are eager to crack on with testing. I would encourage you to hang fire on installing if you are unsure about ioncube installation or you think you are going to need support. In other words: this is getting released now for the die hards ;)

Please keep bugs in the bug tracker (http://www.thevbgeek.com/tracker/index.php) and troubleshooting in the troubleshooting forum. Keep this thread for discussing the release in general.

nJoy

Bluestrike2
05-05-2006, 07:56 PM
First reply! :D

Very nice. I just installed it.

gothic
05-05-2006, 07:58 PM
You're a star m8. Will now have a new toy to play with over the weekend.
:D :D
p.s. installed locally flawlessly, looking good.

azn_romeo_4u
05-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Where can I download the older versions? Can I still download the older versions? I just bought...it...now I don't know what to do...I tried to do the download workaround, but it doesn't seem to work

Webmist
05-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Just installed locally. Will have fun this weekend testing it out.

The Geek
05-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Azn, sorry about that. Youre sorted now - however you will need to drop me a quick PM for your URL to access the license manager downloads as it didnt convert over.
Regardless, you can still access old versions via the download link.

nJoy

Bluestrike2
05-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm liking, but I don't see an option for synopsis at the moment. Probably disabled.

Anyhow, enjoy London and not having to look at a computer for an entire weekend!

azn_romeo_4u
05-05-2006, 11:00 PM
thanks and pm sent

arachn1d
05-05-2006, 11:04 PM
If installed now, and upgraded later will anything be lost?
________
YAMAHA DX11 HISTORY (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DX11)

Webmist
05-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Before I go and make something out of nothing. Wanna make sure it's not just me, cause it could be. Has anyone tried to make a new module set? I can edit and it will save change but not create a new one unless I use the old gars_admin.php file.

The Geek
05-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Ya, post it in the bug tracker. A quick workaround is to select Copy of an existing module set. Then tweak it how you want it.

THe synopsis is now hidden by default. Check the type for the setting :)

Any other thoughts yet? Module manager easier to use?

Webmist
05-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Any other thoughts yet? Module manager easier to use?

Love the tools. Right there where you need them.

Custom fields are gonna get played with this weekend. I modified the first install module (baby stage) to display a image based on checked boxes. So we are going off to experiment.

Fell in love with the ioncube encryptions. Have to read up on that to this weekend. Made the mistake of going to 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. About threw a cow when it came back no permissions :)

Have a fun trip in London. ;) Say hello to parliment for me.

Bluestrike2
05-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm loving it so much I've put it up live. Only a few template problems so far.

Am I correct in assuming I can just upload images to the correct folder for the gallery?

Anyhow, loving' it! Great work!

Hell?
05-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Before another (less humored) mexican starts screaming at you because may 5th it's not independence day in México, I tell you it's the day the "Battle of Puebla" was fought and won against the French army that was occupying our country. Our actual independence day from the late Spaniard empire it's september 16th. Yeah I know... WHO CARES 2.0 IT'S HERE!!!!1111eleven!.

Ok, I'm off to try to install on my test forum.

The Geek
05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
ha! Thanks Hell! I could of sworn it was Cinqo de Mayo (forgive the horrid bastardization/spelling!)

Blue: You should be able to upload via the gallery:
admincp->gars->types then choose gallery fom the drop down menu :)

Make sure you post bugs in the tracker!

gothic
05-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Geek, thought of a workaround for that problem I was having with vBA left column.
My guys on the forum like their left column, so I have cancelled the vBA one but installed the 'Left column on all pages' hack from vB.org with complete success.
Everybody is happy (for the moment.)
I know it's only a bandaid, but it'll do for the moment.

trana
05-07-2006, 02:07 AM
ACK! No support for Zend?

Grae
05-07-2006, 06:00 AM
You will only be able to run your package on a local machine OR the domain listed in the license managerAnyone know how to use it on a local machine? I'm getting:
The encoded file is not permissioned for 127.0.0.1

gothic
05-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Anyone know how to use it on a local machine? I'm getting:
If you haven't already, you need to pop along to HERE (http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php) and select the platform on which your local server is installed (they cover pretty well all of them.) and read the destructions carefully.... fairly bullet proof m8 :D

Lygren
05-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Still no support for a nice front page replacing my current "news" feature on vBadvanced? I would really love a module that shows the GARS articles/tests/etc. properly formatted on my front page.

My site currently looks like this using GARS: http://avforum.com

...and although the system is excellent "back office", I would love for my visitors to also experience the GARS mod as a journalistic expansion at the moment they enter the site!

I would prefer to be able to choose 3-5 featured articles/tests etc. for top exposures with only images and heading, and show a defined amount of other articles/tests etc. chronologically, like for example www.Hardware.no.

Any change such a mod or something simimal may be available for vBadvanced soon?

Bluestrike2
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM
ha! Thanks Hell! I could of sworn it was Cinqo de Mayo (forgive the horrid bastardization/spelling!)

Blue: You should be able to upload via the gallery:
admincp->gars->types then choose gallery fom the drop down menu :)

Make sure you post bugs in the tracker!
Garrr... (:D)

Off to the bug tracker in a bit.

mike12345
05-07-2006, 07:59 PM
i just wonder why it is encrypted ??
seems to be popular at the moment!

Is this the way Geek is going, to encrypt all files ?

If yes what a pitty!!

Yes i know that you can dl nullified scripts, yes i know that you sure can find the addons somewhere on a warez site, but you punish the honest buyers!

gothic
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
i just wonder why it is encrypted ??
seems to be popular at the moment!

Is this the way Geek is going, to encrypt all files ?
The man writes some star stuff and in my (humble) opinion has every right to protect his considerable investment.
I have absolutely nothing against the encryption.:D
but you punish the honest buyers!
Erm, how?

mike12345
05-07-2006, 08:52 PM
why do you think that the community for vb and phpbb is so big ?
and there are so many cool addons ?

thats why it is worth to buy a vb license

maybe the licence part of the geek stuff can be encrypted, but why the full source?
well thats my opinion

gothic
05-07-2006, 09:05 PM
But it's not the whole source, just admin code (oh poo, hope I haven't said too much)
Templates etc. are still fully configurable.
Yes there are many good hacks and powerful add-ons, virtually all of them free! but very few reach the quality and good support that we find here.

germanspec330i
05-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Anyone receive the following error when trying to import GARS in vb?

XML Error: not well-formed (invalid token) at Line 1

I can't figure out why that error is coming up, and because of it I cannot import the new GARS 2.0

Webmist
05-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Anyone know how to use it on a local machine? I'm getting:

Make sure when you load it like it is in the site options on your local machine to call the scripts from (example: http://localhost/foldertoforum not 127.0.01.)

defcon420
05-08-2006, 03:32 AM
Still no support for a nice front page replacing my current "news" feature on vBadvanced? I would really love a module that shows the GARS articles/tests/etc. properly formatted on my front page.

My site currently looks like this using GARS: http://avforum.com

...and although the system is excellent "back office", I would love for my visitors to also experience the GARS mod as a journalistic expansion at the moment they enter the site!

I would prefer to be able to choose 3-5 featured articles/tests etc. for top exposures with only images and heading, and show a defined amount of other articles/tests etc. chronologically, like for example www.Hardware.no.

Any change such a mod or something simimal may be available for vBadvanced soon?

I love the idea's that have gone into GARS 2 however I am unsure if to install because of vba.
Does GARS2 have a vba module?

gothic
05-08-2006, 06:57 AM
I love the idea's that have gone into GARS 2 however I am unsure if to install because of vba.
Does GARS2 have a vba module?
What I have done is to disable the vBA left column on all pages and modified THIS (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91888&highlight=left+column) hack. You can see it at work HERE (http://www.cornishserver.com/forum/index.php?), though it's not a finished work.
If you want, I can post the modified version here, though I would have to get the permission from the author first.

Lizard King
05-08-2006, 07:13 AM
I will wait for the zend optimizer

defcon420
05-08-2006, 09:32 AM
What I have done is to disable the vBA left column on all pages and modified THIS (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91888&highlight=left+column) hack. You can see it at work HERE (http://www.cornishserver.com/forum/index.php?), though it's not a finished work.
If you want, I can post the modified version here, though I would have to get the permission from the author first.

nice site but i couldnt see the images from GARS in your vba portal

gothic
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
nice site but i couldnt see the images from GARS in your vba portal
Ah, I now see what you mean. I do apologise, I thought you meant the problem with the left column.. :o

Webmist
05-08-2006, 10:32 AM
What I have done is to disable the vBA left column on all pages

I know what you mean. Those double left column are to cluttered. That's once reason I don't want a portal. I use that hack also and code in conditionals to not show on the forums I have GARS installed in.

As to 2.0 I like the new user interface. More visual on the eye as to how the layout of the thread/forum will look. Love it!

One question though. How are modules registered now? Will we need to follow a different format for creating new modules? Okay that was 2 ooops.

trana
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I will wait for the zend optimizer

Considering I have other apps that will only work with Zend, I will be waiting as well.

Grae
05-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Make sure when you load it like it is in the site options on your local machine to call the scripts from (example: http://localhost/foldertoforum not 127.0.01.)Thank you! That did the trick and I am now a happy camper :D

The Geek
05-09-2006, 04:34 AM
Hey all.

Zend should be coming this week (haven't downloaded and played with it yet).
I haven't made a vba Add on - There are a couple of those about though.

The community for phpbb and vb is so big because NOT because of the fact you can read the source, but because they are large scale applications with loads of add ons released. How many 'add ons' for one of those projects have as big of a community? Not many.
It helps to see the source to create modifications - however even after a year, there are few modifications for geek products.
People just don't make 'mods' for 'mods' anymore and therefore there really is no need to be able to examine the source.

Regardless - I'm just tired of seeing buttwads uploading their packages to their friends sites. I'm sick of fake PayPal reclaims and charge backs which cost me 50% MORE than the sale and the morons are still using the product (in other words; I get the money taken from my account, charged £10 and they are still using the product on their site). I need a way to be able to protect myself and my customers :)

HTHs

defcon420
05-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Hey all.
People just don't make 'mods' for 'mods' anymore and therefore there really is no need to be able to examine the source.

I really dont think this is the case, as i am constantly modifying my sites even thou I may not share my mods with others.
I can understand you wanting to protect your products and respect that however if this is the case (not being able to see the source) then I would like you to support the largest used VB portal "vba".
Does the current vba module work with Gars2?

regards
your paying and non refunding customer

Lygren
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM

Please post the modified version if possible! :)

Lygren
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
However, I would not like the vBa boxes disabled, but all the boxes in one frame as I have specialized boxes that I want to keep on my frontpage...

The Geek
05-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Between the built in module system, templates, phrasing, and custom fields - I just don't see a need to have access to the source of the core class - but thats just me. The bottom line is that if I continued to 'pay out' to script kiddies I would have to either raise the price to something reasonable or not continue development. So think of 2.0 as a bonus for those that don't mind encoded source :D

As far as vbacmps goes - its really no different than asking Brian to support GARS and create GARS modules. He might do it, however the reality is that its not his product, so he shouldn't be expected to code for it.
I have said I will look into creating a small 'api' module, however the time I spend doing that is the time I don't spend developing products.
I would rather have a stable, released 2.0 than a module for an unstable 2.0 ;)

defcon420
05-09-2006, 01:37 PM
As far as vbacmps goes - its really no different than asking Brian to support GARS and create GARS modules. He might do it, however the reality is that its not his product, so he shouldn't be expected to code for it.
I have said I will look into creating a small 'api' module, however the time I spend doing that is the time I don't spend developing products.
I would rather have a stable, released 2.0 than a module for an unstable 2.0 ;)

I agree I would rather have a stable release first, but this doesnt answer my existing question.
Does the current vba module for GARS also work with GARS 2.0?

I'd would like that function before I upgrade.

toibs
05-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Anyone know how to install Ioncube on Centos 4.2??? either i'm WAY too tired, or i'm confused.

Also the server runs Zend. Whats all this talk of Zend support? Does that mean i can wait and not have to install ioncube at all, but install a Zend version instead?

Sorry for all the Q's...

Paul

smo
05-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Im confused on the whole ION cube thinger. Which one do I DL and how do I install it on my webserver? Im real new to the ION thing. Should I wait for the final then perhaps?

this is what it says on my acp:
Server TypeFreeBSD
Web ServerApache v1.3.34 (cgi)
PHP4.4.2

The Geek
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Defcon - The other addons out there should be totally fine with 2.0 however I didnt code them (and dont currently use them). Maybe someone else can confirm?

I should have a Zend version out by the end of the week. Im just trying to scrape up the freaky amont of money it costs :(

Have you guys checked-> http://www.ioncube.com/loader_installation.php?sid=9b07e215e310ab5a78a160 5288688560

In a nutshell, you need to go to the download page, get the version that is right for your server (check your phpinfo page) and follow the directions within the download to set it up. Me? I just donwloaded the zip (not the intaller), unpacked, uploaded into a folder on my server and ran the install assistant that comes with the package.
Ill see if I can put something together to help a little more.

Warrior
05-10-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll be installing once the Zend version becomes available...

I am using Zend Engine v1.3.0 with Zend Optimizer v2.5.10 and Zend Loader... :)

trana
05-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Geek,

I totally understand the need to protect the code, as long as the flexibility to change module/template layouts is there and I can drop custom fields where I need them then I'm definately going to install 2.x.

I do need the Zend version though, as I am running VBSEO on IIS which only works on Zend Opt 3.0 Beta.

I am a paying customer and really think this script is worth more than the price you are asking.

Thanks!

Webmist
05-11-2006, 06:57 AM
One question though. How are modules registered now? Will we need to follow a different format for creating new modules? Okay that was 2 ooops.

Is there an easier way for the modules? The only way I could get them to fully work was to break down the code and put them in their respective 'settings' folders within the mods folder. Then un-register and register the module.

Any one else try this out?

I do love all my tools menu ;)

The Geek
05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Modules used to be all in one folder with an if block deciding which section to execute.
I broke them out of the if blocks to create 1 module per area.

A module file used to sit in the modules folder and look something like this:

<?PHP
if ($section=="display")
{
//do this
}
elseif ($section=="settings")
{
//do this
}
?>

Now, they are put into seperate files like this:
forum
|___geek
|____gars
|____modules
|____settings
|____display

so the code for the settings block goes in the settings folder and the display code goes in the display folder.
I did this to reduce loading unneeded code at run time. Since 99.9% the only portion that is being executed is the display block, why load and compile all the module code for settings, saving, editing, etc...
It doesnt save a lot of space, but every little helps ;)

mikeclarke
05-11-2006, 11:37 AM
zend optimizer is all I have

Lygren
05-11-2006, 08:11 PM
I see you have a random review display in your vBa frontpage. Will the new 2.0 support this feature for vBa or is it some kind of tweak you have made?

The Geek
05-11-2006, 08:14 PM
check the add on forum :)

John D
05-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey,
The system is showing my domain as www.De, not sure if it just cuts it short on the site and its actually saved right but I am getting an error that it isnt licensed for my site/IP.

The encoded file /home/dace/public_html/geek/gars/includes/gars_class_admin.php is not permissioned for 67.43.11.56

I looked this up myself and the error can show if its being installed on the wrong domain, think the problem might just be that my domain is showing as www.De in the system, but it should be www.DeuceAce.com

Lygren
05-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, I installed it, but when enabled all the forums are displayed with the wrong width... What am I doing wrong? I have installed and checked the ion-thingie, and it seems to work.

My site www.AVforum.com.

The Geek
05-13-2006, 07:51 AM
John - sorted. Redownload the package.

Lygren - I searched your site for a bit, but can't find what you're talking about. Can you please start a new troubleshooting thread with a link to the problem you're having?

Thanks

uae
05-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm lovin' it :)
One thing, it would be cool to have the custom fields on commnet / reply.
Maybe an option where cusom fields could be attached to new comment / reply, not just new thread.

The Geek
05-13-2006, 12:08 PM
hmmm. Interesting suggestion. However I wouldnt be able to do it with this setup as they are linked to the thread, not post.

Ill have to mull that about.

Lygren
05-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I reinstalled the 1.01 version, therefore no current error, The Geek... I'll just probably wait for a later version, although I find it strange that so many other users have no problems using the second edition...

trana
05-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Any idea when we can expect a Zend encoded version?

The Geek
05-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Ive been working on it - the biggest sticking point is the price tag :)

I may be able to get something tomorrow

CedricFP
05-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Ive been working on it - the biggest sticking point is the price tag :)

I may be able to get something tomorrow
Will the final release of GARS2 include the "Sub Categories" block by default? Because if so, would it be wise for me to install it now on the GARS2 Beta 1?

The Geek
05-14-2006, 08:44 AM
er - I wasnt planning on it - however I dont see why it couldnt! Ill put it in as a feature request. Regardless, it will work with Beta 2

CedricFP
05-14-2006, 11:09 AM
er - I wasnt planning on it - however I dont see why it couldnt! Ill put it in as a feature request. Regardless, it will work with Beta 2
Thanks Geek :)

EDIT: GARS2 Beta 1 is still extremely buggy. I can't create new module sets. Also, everytime I save settings, I get:

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php on line 2164

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php on line 2163

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php on line 2164

And also, settings don't save. I have saved the default module set not to show "Featured Articles" yet it still shows an article featured, that doesn't even exist anymore! Also, if you make a forum an article forum, then un-article it, the "top X' columns still show threads from the forum un-articled.

And upon re-syncing the pages, I get this error:

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /geek/gars/includes/gars_class_core.php on line 2163

I think I will move back to GARS1 if it is stable. I don't have any need for custom fields anyways.

EDIT: Ok, I can't even download GARS 1.01 as I get this error:

Invalid info

The Geek
05-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Please start a new thread in troubleshooting however the quick answer is:

chmod your geek/gars/cache (and sub folders) to 0777
Change your settings to use the file cache.

Right now its trying to use the file cache, but it doesnt have permission to write.

As for the module sets, just copy and existing module set using the options drop down box. Thats the only current issue here :)

CedricFP
05-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Please start a new thread in troubleshooting however the quick answer is:

chmod your geek/gars/cache (and sub folders) to 0777
Change your settings to use the file cache.

Right now its trying to use the file cache, but it doesnt have permission to write.

As for the module sets, just copy and existing module set using the options drop down box. Thats the only current issue here :)
I see. Thanks for the quick help :)

Lygren
05-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Will there be any solve for pages that uses vBa to control the templates?

In our page, the forum is integrated into VBA with a "define('VBA_PAGE','xxx');" on the top of each page, where XXX is the name of the site in vBa.

Further on, all placed where different stuff is outputtet through templates we have altered it to support vBa. Instead of outputting directly, a "eval('$html = ',fetch_template....)" and the outputting to vBa at the end.

The strange thing is that 1.01 is working quite fine (although the frontpage vBa plugin The Geek has created is not working), but not 2.0...

The Geek
05-14-2006, 06:58 PM
the vba module was designed for 2.0 so im not too suprised about that. I really dont have any plans to extend vba support beyond that. I would assume if it worked in 1.01 it would work in 2.0 as the mechnics are the same.

Hell?
05-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Ok, I tried installing on my test forum on my shared hosting account but apparently the ioncube loaders wreak some havok on my cookies. I don't think I'll be able to edit my php.ini either so I'm pretty much stuck. I checked my phpinfo and apparently I have a loader in the extra modules but the script says it's not compatible.

I'm guessing I'm pretty much stuck until I get my hosting company to upgrade the loader or hope the zend version works, right?

The Geek
05-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Let me get a test script and zend together for you. You dont have to edit php.ini however it is the best option. Zend may be better for you in the end.

I bought zend yesterday, however I now need to freaking fax in a bunch of stuff to get it activated. Talk about a pain in the butt!

Hell?
05-16-2006, 08:41 PM
great, I'll wait for it patiently then :D

Grae
05-17-2006, 12:11 PM
What version of Zend will we need?

Ramses
05-17-2006, 12:20 PM
And, did you find a fax machine? :D

The Geek
05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Kind of :D

However Zend is turning into a real butt pain to get going and their forum support is pretty non existent. Honestly I am GREATLY disappointed so far with Zend and it's features when compared to the substantially cheaper ioncube.

Fingers crossed Ill have something by this weekend before I head off to Denmark.

You will need the latest Zend Optimizer for the Zend version.

HTHs

Cliff
05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I would love to purchase the Full version.
I do not have installed, nor will my host install, IonCube nor Zend Optimizer.
Am I out of luck?

Cliff
05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Also, I see the Lite system is branded. Can an unbranded Lite version be purchased if I can't use the full version?

gothic
05-17-2006, 07:33 PM
I would love to purchase the Full version.
I do not have installed, nor will my host install, IonCube nor Zend Optimizer.
Am I out of luck?
My webhosts were'nt keen on installing ioncube |(they already have zend though) but we met halfway, they offered to use the ioncube 'loader' which is short of a full install, and is folder specific (isolating it to your host package only) I realise they do have to edit the php.ini but it won't clash with anything else. Perhaps if you point them to HERE (http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php) they may be able to help after all. :D

The Geek
05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
You can have the system load at runtime (if your server allows it).
Otherwise you can always purchase and use the 1.01 version as that insnt encypted ;)

gothic
05-17-2006, 08:42 PM
You can have the system load at runtime
You have such a way with words...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
(I know what I meant, just couldn't elucidate propper!!)

defcon420
05-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Geek I'm really keen to start using these custom fields however i'm a little unclear as to how to use them.. i know you wrote a short howto but i dont want to do any damage to my existing articles and was wondering when will you have some sort of text file about these new features.
I noticed it said you cant change a custom field once you make it however can you delete is if its a balls up?
Thx again
Just on my way to go purchase another copy of GARS before the price increase :D
damn i'm buyin GARS before i got vbulletin for my new site ;)

tormodg
05-19-2006, 01:48 PM
So are things Zend-ready yet? :)

The Geek
05-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Zend isnt returning my calls right now.

Actually, they arent returning my support post so I have made zilch prgress with them. Considering they are over 3 times more expensive than ioncube and the license is PER YEAR, they dont have half the features that ioncube has nor a smidgen of the support.

Im getting really pissed off with them actually. (can you tell?)

Im hoping ill have some tiem to play with it some more over the next week although I am in Denmark so I can only work on it here and there at night.

By the way people, I got a brilliant idea yesterday regarding GARS and its going to be mega sweet. Watch this space ;)

Defcon - I wouldnt worry too much about playing around with the custom fields. You cant really break anything with them. If one goes awry, just delete it and create a new one. The only instructions I have is the first post in this thread.

Play away guys :D

tormodg
05-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Denmark, eh? If you happen to come to Oslo I'll buy you a beer. :)

I'll give in and install the ioncube...although that means I'll have to reinstall vBSEO but hey the world orbits around The Geek so no worries. ;)

The Geek
05-19-2006, 03:37 PM
hehe. Only if it were so!

Was in Oslo last year. Ill drop you a line next time im there :)

Cliff
05-19-2006, 05:12 PM
You can have the system load at runtime (if your server allows it).
Otherwise you can always purchase and use the 1.01 version as that insnt encypted ;)

How would I do that? Is this something I install or is it installed on the server?
I am on a shared server and have no server knowledge at all.

If I have IonCube installed on the server, where do I get it? Do I need to buy it?

Cliff
05-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Hmm, here is my php info for my site. http://www.bloodbanktalk.com/info.php
It looks like Zend is installed. Can you please review this and let me know if this is sufficient?

Fleabag
05-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Bummer, I've never had so much trouble with a script as I'm having with the cube. I'm gonna have to give up, I've done everything I can possibly think of to try and make it work. :(

The Geek
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Sorry you guys are having problems with ioncube.

Im still trying to get Zend sorted and will release it as soon as I do. In the meantime, think of this as an early preview for ioncube owners.

Cliff - that info doesnt say either way if you have zend or ioncube installed. I would email your host about installing it.
Flea - Did you run the install-helper php file that came with the ioncube download?

Im also trying to get a test script together to let you know which version you need - however its all donw to time :D

Fleabag
05-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Geek I'm not lumping the blame on you hehe, I completely understand the move to encryption. I tried running that file yes, to no avail. My host says it should work, but as far as I can see it doesn't.

Can I ask, where have YOU put the ioncube files, inside the GARS folder?

Cliff
05-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Cliff - that info doesnt say either way if you have zend or ioncube installed. I would email your host about installing it.

I contacted my host, it looks like neither are installed.
I tried to install the run time loader.
I got this message
Results
Run-time loading should be possible on your system but no suitable Loader was found.

Instructions
The Windows Loader for PHP 4.4 releases is required.
Loaders can be downloaded from www.ioncube.com

I guess I don't understand. I uploaded the files to an ioncube folder. What else was I suppoed to upload? Or is this something my host would need to do?

Cliff
05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
More questions.
Where can I buy 1.1?
I have Lite installed, can I upgrade?
If I get IonCube running, can I upgrade to 2.0 from 1.1, or do I need to buy a new license?
Are there a lot of features in 2.0 that I'd be missing from 1.1?

Ramses
05-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Hm, sorry to say that but I think with this encryption thing there will be more customer lost than win.

Fleabag
05-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I had made a silly mistake. I have it working now. As usual I was working arse backwards. Ramses you'd be surprised how fast and easy it is to install ioncube (once you know how), it's just uploading a folder and running a URL.

Cliff
05-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey Flea, how did you get it running? Did you see my post a few posts up from here, did you get the same info?

Fleabag
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
First thing I noticed Cliff, is that you're using the Windows loaders. Are you sure your host runs Windows on the server?

The Geek
05-19-2006, 07:11 PM
If youre licensed, you can download 1.01 or 2.0
There are several features in 2.0 however its still beta and 1.01 is what MOST people are using. The upgrade is pretty simple too :)

Flea - My ioncube folder is ABOVE my forum root (actually not accessible via the web) however I use php.ini option. Apparently you only need the ioncube folder sitting somewhere above geek/gars/includes :(

The Geek
05-19-2006, 07:13 PM
hehe. Teach me for typing, browsing for 30 mintues then coming back and hitting submit :)

It is actually very easy to install ioncube. However I know it wont be everyones cup of tea and yes, it could potentially be an arse pain from my side of things. However if you only knew how much money Ive been wankered on because of script kiddies.

Fleabag
05-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I have it inside my GARS folder at the moment, for some reason it didn't work until I ran the helper file inside the ioncube folder - even though to my understanding of the instructions it should have run inside /includes - maybe that's my bad. Either way, it didn't work until I ran the helper file which I didn't think you had to do.

The Geek
05-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for that flea. Im sure that will help some others.

Also another point for using encoders is that Ill be able to offer proper time-expired demos :)

Fleabag
05-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah I hadn't thought of that! It's a plus in my opinion. :)

Cliff
05-19-2006, 09:34 PM
OK, I purchased. WHen will I be able to download?

tormodg
05-20-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm wondering about the non-compatibility of ioncube and Zend.

This is from the ioncube website:

Q. Can I install Zend Optimizer with the Loader?

A. Yes. We permit trusted software to be installed, and so we support the installing of Zend Optimizer along with our Loader in the php.ini file. Note that our Loader must be installed before Zend Optimizer in the php.ini file. If you do see messages claiming any incompatibility then this is incorrect and will be a configuration problem. Please let us know and we'll let you know what's wrong.

The Geek
05-20-2006, 06:44 AM
If youre using zend optimizer already - you would most likely want the zend version.

Webmist
05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Okay I've gotten brave enough to upload and display on site. These are things I've encountered in upgrading.

Prior modules didn't register.

I had to break the custom ones I had into their respective folders. (i.e. display, persist, etc..)

Went into each module set to update the cache template setting.

All was set to don't cache.

They all were set to don't cache in each module.

I had a download, and tutorial set and each didn't display right. They had to be re-ordered. One I had called display kept it's settings. I think this was because it didn't have any custom modules in it.

I had to redo my settings again.

Also I think maybe due to custom modules. Though it didn't display my table of contents. My custom modules didn't display either. Which is why I took all settings of the forums and put them back. This fixed the problem

Everything else went really well and besides not making sure I uploaded the correct files it was a breeze.

tormodg
05-20-2006, 09:07 AM
If youre using zend optimizer already - you would most likely want the zend version.

I use both now, works like a charm. Updated my PHP to 5 as well, so I could get the latest Zend optimizer, and ioncube for GARS and vBSEO. :)

The Geek
05-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Thats great news tormodg.

Webmist - Im wondering if you had to redo so much because the file cache wasnt on. You shouldnt of had to re configure everything (except your custom modules).

Regardless, Im glad to here its going good now. Thanks for the feedback :)

Webmist
05-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Im wondering if you had to redo so much because the file cache wasnt on. You shouldnt of had to re configure everything (except your custom modules).

That's what I thought too. I'll remember when I update my second site next weekend. It'll be one of those important reminder notes. :p

waltercat
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Just installed Beta. This is exactly what I was looking for, Custom Fields! I've been able to create them and add content on my site. However I can't view them still. I'm getting some errors when I try to check off which fields to display in the module setting. I will post a bug in the tracker.

This may be asking much, but will it be possible to search the custom fields as well? You're product covers 95% of what I need for one of my features. If there was just that chance to search the custom fields (like with the members search in vb) that would seal the deal.

Nice work geek.

waltercat
05-21-2006, 11:12 PM
This is probably a lame, noob question, but how does one chmod on a localhost? Does one need to chmod on a localhost?

Also, I noticed on my custom fields module, the name of the custom field is not displaying. For example if I create a phone number field and a fax number field, the only thing that displays is the number and not the "Phone Number" or "Fax Number" field name.

The Geek
05-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Walter. Id like to hook the search function however I havent even looked to see if its possible yet.

The CF module only displays the value, not name of the field or anything (yet). Ill most likely fold that in, however the easiest way around it is to make a new template laid out how you want, then in the CF settings, enter the name of your new template as a subtitute.

If your localhost is on a windows machine I dont think you need to worry about chmod. :)

toibs
05-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Hate to harp Mr Geek, but any news on the Zend Version?

Failing this i might give installing ioncube a shout.... ;)

Paul

waltercat
05-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I hope you are able to integrate with the search engine and allow the same flexibilty to custom fields that the memberslist allows. From what I understand, search intergration is difficult.

I hope you can find a way as without a solid search, GARS becomes pretty much just a browse feature. I'd have to use something like links directory to create searchable custom fields and then link to GARS for reviews. Is that something that can be merged via your modules? For instance on 1 page, store A's custom fields would be handled by links directory and the reviews by GARS.

On a somewhat similar note, could this be made into a module for GARS too? A google map intergration would be awesome!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114149&highlight=google+map+hotspot

The Geek
05-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Tobis - nothing new yet. Im out of town so Im not sure if they have even responded to me yet. Just sneaking on long enough to try and address support issues.

Im sure that a letter index could be done as a module - but it would be a little complex. Ill see if I can at least add the plumbing for it in 2.0

What kind of google map functionality would you use with gars?

Sha
05-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Quick question: when do you think this version will move away from being Beta?

waltercat
05-24-2006, 02:17 AM
Google? I have long and lat. for 4000 physical stores collected and I would like to allow them to be reviewed awith GARS as it is the best review system I have come across. But then again, I'd need a zip code radius search, so my needs are a bit beyond what people are coding for vb right now. All the add-ons seem to cover about 75% of what I need. Oh well, I'll just have to save up for custom coding.

My biggest need is search integration as my main feature is an online store collection of data. It's kinda useless data if it can't be searched.

Unfortuantely the best search capabilities on vb are thier memberslist, where custom fields automatically get dumped into the search page. Check boxes are check box menus and drop down menus are drop down menu searches. It's great yet completely useless for my needs...

Mark Raven
05-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd also like to know when the estimated date of taking it out of beta is. I've got a lot of plans for using the custom fields on my site, but I'm a little wary of using beta software and then having to upgrade later.

Sha
05-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Yeah, that's exactly why I haven't installed it yet. I'll definitely use it once it's out of beta.

Lizard King
05-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Any news on the zend optimizer version ?

acers
05-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Any news on the zend optimizer version ?
ditto... :)

gothic
05-28-2006, 05:27 AM
The poor man has been away/busy. He'll be back soon enough :D

The Geek
05-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Im pretty much back now :) My laptop crashed while I was away and I had to bail earlier to head out with the family.

Im hoping to have a zend solution by tomorrow - beta cant be ETA'ed yet :)

acers
05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
umm tomorrow came and went :( any update on zend now :)

fasherman
05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
umm tomorrow came and went :( any update on zend now :)
He said he was hoping to release it, not committing to a date. Big difference. Lets just be patient.

tommy
05-31-2006, 01:54 PM
I was wondering if GARS can be XHTML valid. I just check your site and it has error too. :(

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pseriestech.org%2Fforum %2Ftutorials%2F6-hmc-unrestricted-root-access.html

The Geek
05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Tommy - some of those issues were resolved in 2.0, Ill have to look into the others.

Im still working on Zend. To be totally honest Im about to throw the encoding concept out the window as it is taking up FAR too much of my time :(

Sadly it leaves me open to being screwed again - however I guess its better than spending so much of my time trying to help people get encoders installed!

waltercat
05-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Sadly it leaves me open to being screwed again - however I guess its better than spending so much of my time trying to help people get encoders installed!

My vote, raise the price and dump the encoding (although for some reason I did not have a problem with using the encoding). You have such a cool feature here, I'd like to see that improved.

acers
05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
actually based on experience with vbseo, zend is far easier to install than ioncube ones.

Webmist
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM

I personally kinda like it. I have 2 sites on the same webhosting company. On 2 different servers. They installed ioncube on one server. I uploaded to the second with no ioncube and both work fine. You have to make sure you name the file ioncube though. I didn't on the first try that's the reason I had the hosting company install the first one.

Don't give up hope just think of all the bugs Windows have and look where they are today. :rolleyes:

defcon420
06-01-2006, 12:37 AM
i really dont understand what the problem is with ioncube.. its very easy to use.
Just upload the files into a folder called ioncube then put then zip that you downloaded from Geek in there.. download it from your server.
Unzip it.. follow the install.. how easy can that be?

acers
06-01-2006, 01:36 AM
i really dont understand what the problem is with ioncube.. its very easy to use.
Just upload the files into a folder called ioncube then put then zip that you downloaded from Geek in there.. download it from your server.
Unzip it.. follow the install.. how easy can that be?
it should be that easy.. alas it has never worked for me and ditto for a friend of mine.. so much so that the vbseo guys themselves couldn't fix it.

Cliff
06-01-2006, 02:17 AM

It's really too bad when a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. Code stealing isn't fair.
I am on a shared server and I can not use either Zend or Ion. I have tried and confirmed with my host that this can not work.
I would really like to be able to use the updated scripts, and suspect version 1.0 will not be updated.
It puts you in a tough spot. I hate the idea that you don't get what you deserve, and dislike the idea I can't have what I want.

The Geek
06-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Im planning on releasing Beta 2 this weekend unencoded. The majority of support PM's are now centred around loader installation and its sucking more than just my time ;)

Thanks again guys.

Ramses
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Im planning on releasing Beta 2 this weekend unencoded. The majority of support PM's are now centred around loader installation and its sucking more than just my time ;)

Thanks again guys.
Good news, thanks for that.

Cliff
06-01-2006, 02:56 PM

Thanks again guys.

Thank you.
And let's all wish the misery of no hands and 1,000 sand fleas on the likes of those who profit off the hard work of others.

Hell?
06-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank you.
And let's all wish the misery of no hands and 1,000 sand fleas on the likes of those who profit off the hard work of others.
I'm not the sort of guy who wishes evil to others but I wholeheartedly agree on this.

Thanks for the release Geek, and I'm sorry that the difficulties overcome the benefits of what was fair to you.

tommy
06-02-2006, 08:39 AM

Thanks again guys.

Cool. Can you XHTML validate the templates on this release.

About the un-encoded version, I think you should just set up a piracy reporting section. Maybe also post a list of domains who have a valid license that only current licensed members (not registered forums members) can view. Offer an extension on the updates area for users that report sites found running GARS illegally.

Thanks,

gothic
06-02-2006, 11:02 AM
About the un-encoded version, I think you should just set up a piracy reporting section. Maybe also post a list of domains who have a valid license that only current licensed members (not registered forums members) can view. Offer an extension on the updates area for users that report sites found running GARS illegally.

Thanks,

Very good idea. I would most certainly advocate that type of measure.

CedricFP
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Very good idea. I would most certainly advocate that type of measure.
Me too. It'd be nice to stamp out the piraters.

Lizard King
06-03-2006, 09:11 AM

Thanks again guys.
I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. I wish your script will still be encoded. just maybe unencoded for the beta stage maybe with a pre release team like vbseo.

Helping people to install loaders are not your problem at all. Noone can ask support for that because you are not zend or ioncube worker. I will say go with the encoded version again.

Damir
06-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Thanks again guys.

I think that would be a great idea. That encoders are pain in the a... I just bought this today and i will intsall 1.0 version because i dont want to screw up my server with that encoder stuff... You have my support on unecoded:)

The Geek
06-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I know what you mean Lizard, but the problem is that people still expect me to help them with it.

Even vbseo is looking at moving away from encryption and simply using obfuscation. They are just looking at it now - however its still on the cards for them. Most of their support time is spent helping with encoders. :(

gothic
06-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I know what you mean Lizard, but the problem is that people still expect me to help them with it.
Re. my last PM, quite happy to help out in that area, take some of the load off m8 :D

Damir
06-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Will you put Beta 2 this weekend out?

The Geek
06-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Mr. D - just prepping up the release package now. I would suspect it will be up in the next 6 hours :)

The Geek
06-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Re. my last PM, quite happy to help out in that area, take some of the load off m8 :D
Which I really appreciate.

I just think that its going to make life easier w/o encryption for now. Maybe when things settle a tad more :)

Damir
06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Mr. D - just prepping up the release package now. I would suspect it will be up in the next 6 hours :)

Great cant wait will it be easy to upgrade? from 1.0

The Geek
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
yup :D

trana
06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Which I really appreciate.

I just think that its going to make life easier w/o encryption for now. Maybe when things settle a tad more :)

Thanks for doing this, it will make it a lot easier on us all. I personally HATE Zend as it seems to cause major havoc with my site. If VBSEO removes their encoding I will definately disable it.