PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on some GARS changes


The Geek
04-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Please be aware that when the shop re-opens and GARS 2.0 hits RC, there will be a price increase to £19.95 for new purchases.

Furthermore I will be migrating the core classes to ioncube and zend for the performance benefits and to protect the code as I'm tired of seeing it ripped ;)

Current core classes will stay as-is, but new releases will by encoded.

Thanks for your support.

smo
04-23-2006, 02:44 PM
will existing customers have to pay the difference?

and, silly quest..what is ion cube

The Geek
04-23-2006, 05:14 PM
no, if you are already licesnced then it doesnt apply howeve the annual renewal (if you want updates) will increase slightly too (though not much).

Ioncube and Zend are the two key source encoders out there. They essentailly encode and encrypt source files to prevent theft of scripts. THey also improve performance of the scripts though this is only subtle.

HTHs

Bridges
04-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Will we be able to install this on our test site as well as our main site?

Bridges
04-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Now I think about it, vbseo works the same way. I forgot if I am running zend or ion cube.

The Geek
04-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Ya, im setting stuff up now. Youll be able to run a localhost or your registered domain (at least that is the goal).

gothic
04-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Ya, im setting stuff up now. Youll be able to run a localhost or your registered domain (at least that is the goal).

I imagine most of us do a manual install of AMP on our dev machines, and php is very easily configured to include the Zend module, the combined dev packages are even easier to activate the Zend module so I can't see a problem there anyway.

oops, just realised the obvious mistake.......:o :o

Greps
04-23-2006, 10:29 PM
zend/ioncube I can handle, so not a big problem.

ps: will the upgrade be free for current customers?

Mirzone
04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
I do think upping the yearly renewal is slightly out of order however I am willing to do it because of your top class service

The Geek
04-24-2006, 08:17 AM
the annual access fee will only be around £10 and yes, upgrades are free within your 1 year update ;)

Heggy
04-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Sounds great :)

k40tic
04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Luckily the price wont effect me for several months still. When the time comes to renew we shall see though I don't expect it to be a problem.

The Geek
04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Remeber - youll only have to renew access to download section when an update comes out that you need.

License is owned :D

Blackbeard
04-24-2006, 10:19 PM
where can i find the date my renewal is due, after a few formats i have lost emails with dates i got it??

The Geek
04-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Im currently working on a new members/downlaods section to accomidate the encoding. It contains your license keys, domains and expiries there. It should be availible this week once I get everything finished up and plugged in together.

Im pretty chuffed with the new license manager. I have written it from scratch and it does some pretty nifty things.

JulianD
04-25-2006, 12:49 AM
It sounds great, except from the fact that you're going to encode the scripts... I'm not the guy who likes to peak on someone elses code but sometimes it's good to have the code of the application you're running. Maybe for an addon to fit my needs and so on.

I understand you when you want to protect your work though... I guess I will be happy to have a better GARS even when I cannot see how it is coded.

Im currently working on a new members/downlaods section to accomidate the encoding. It contains your license keys, domains and expiries there. It should be availible this week once I get everything finished up and plugged in together.

Im pretty chuffed with the new license manager. I have written it from scratch and it does some pretty nifty things.

Michael-MI
04-25-2006, 02:55 AM
Does the new price increase going to help you hire someone to help with all of the support?

Thank you,

Michael

uae
04-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Very cool, I look forward to that :)

The Geek
04-25-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm only going to be encoding the core classes - modules and such will be unencoded so you can still easily build add ons.

No, the price increase will reflect the extra additional work and costs for maintaining the project. An extra £5 on a £15 script isn't going to enable me to get an employee - for that I would be needing to bump the price up to the £75 mark. In theory, it will lower the amount of customers and support requests. If not, ill do what I have done now - limit sales :D

Thanks guys

Mirzone
04-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm only going to be encoding the core classes - modules and such will be unencoded so you can still easily build add ons.

No, the price increase will reflect the extra additional work and costs for maintaining the project. An extra £5 on a £15 script isn't going to enable me to get an employee - for that I would be needing to bump the price up to the £75 mark. In theory, it will lower the amount of customers and support requests. If not, ill do what I have done now - limit sales :D

Thanks guys

I understand the disincentive idea for new customers, but if thats the only case why up the renewals? I know say £5 is not alot, but for people like me who have 3 licenses and looking to buy more it will result in an additional £20-£30 (eek)

Richy
04-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Do you use these on sites that make absolutely no money then?

Ramses
04-25-2006, 02:37 PM
If gars is encoded, will it be still possible to change templates or some hardcoded phrases? Is it necessery to ask my provider for installing some ioncube add on to my server?

Shack Networks
04-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Excellent news, any idea on a time frame as I am about to release an update on my site with Gars as the core component other than the forums of course.

Would it be worth waiting on the new release ?

The Geek
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I never said renewal access was going to go up £5, just the license purcahse. I specialize in VERY EASY to afford scripts.

If there is anything hardcoded in the class - make sure you let me know - Ill want to remove those items so you can tweak to your hearts content :D

I wouldnt 'wait' on GARS 2.0 however a Beta may be out by this weekend if I can get the new license/download manager sorted in time :D Then again. that will be a beta release.

tormodg
04-25-2006, 07:07 PM
The person who knows best is yourself at the moment. GARS is a killer app for us and we're in for the future as well.

gothic
04-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I wouldnt 'wait' on GARS 2.0 however a Beta may be out by this weekend if I can get the new license/download manager sorted in time :D Then again. that will be a beta release.

Beta's good http://www.cornishserver.com/static.gifhttp://www.cornishserver.com/static.gifhttp://www.cornishserver.com/static.gif

(well, short term anyways :D)

Michael-MI
04-26-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm only going to be encoding the core classes - modules and such will be unencoded so you can still easily build add ons.

No, the price increase will reflect the extra additional work and costs for maintaining the project. An extra £5 on a £15 script isn't going to enable me to get an employee - for that I would be needing to bump the price up to the £75 mark. In theory, it will lower the amount of customers and support requests. If not, ill do what I have done now - limit sales :D

Thanks guys

Thank you for answering my question. :)

Michael

jsa
04-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm only going to be encoding the core classes - modules and such will be unencoded so you can still easily build add ons.

No, the price increase will reflect the extra additional work and costs for maintaining the project. An extra £5 on a £15 script isn't going to enable me to get an employee - for that I would be needing to bump the price up to the £75 mark. In theory, it will lower the amount of customers and support requests. If not, ill do what I have done now - limit sales :D

Thanks guys

I'm in the US where the weak dollar makes your scripts even more expensive (about 2 dollars to a pound), but, frankly, it's still pretty darn cheap for what you provide.

Your work is awesome, and I'm glad to see a modest price increase give you incentive for you to keep things evolving.

But, at the same time, I have some ideas that address some of the needs of the users here and your needs.

You know how you charge a seperate 12.99 pounds for license removal?

How about a seperate support fee for your products, if you want support over X amount of days? (beyond 15 days, beyond 30 days, or what have you)

Or if you want like... I don't know... an even higher charge for Deluxe support? You know those people that just don't ask a casual question, but actually need hand holding of some sort?

On the other side of the coin, you could sell a special REDUCED price license with absolutely NO support. Just a license. There's a few ways you could work this.

I'm certain a lot of people here who buy multiple licenses need hardly any support at all. They run tons of forums, and are expert users. For them, cost is far more important than support.

A lot of potential pirates are actually in this category. A lot of these kids have technical skills, and very little money. But, of course, they have some money, like everybody -- there's a threshold. A "no support license" would make it tempting enough for a good portion of those to actually buy your scripts.

Just some ideas here... Maybe they'll inspire you to have even better ideas. I just think something like this would allow everyone to have more cake, and eat it, too. :)

tormodg
04-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm certain a lot of people here who buy multiple licenses need hardly any support at all. They run tons of forums, and are expert users. For them, cost is far more important than support.

Frankly I think Geek's prices are very good already. But seeing as most scripts are priced in US$ these days I can understand the frustration - the dollar is at a low point. But if Geek was taking US$ he'd be losing money now.

I consider myself an "expert" user, but as long as Geek keeps selling beta scripts it is impossible to use them without any kind of support (in fact, I feel we are getting good scripts cheap by helping him out with beta testing).

Just my 2c, of course. :)

The Geek
04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Some good suggestions jsa. I look into something like that for the future.

The £/$ thing is all realative. The $ price will go up about $7.50 as the prices are put in by currency.

Thanks again for your support guys.

Mirzone
04-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Some good suggestions jsa. I look into something like that for the future.

The £/$ thing is all realative. The $ price will go up about $7.50 as the prices are put in by currency.

Thanks again for your support guys.

Dont take my comments as negative please. You do a fantastic job, and I would have bought the same number of scripts even if the price was double if you wish to know the truth. However I think that in business it is always unfair to make those who have been told a figure to pay more, just for the simple reason we all have to budget

The Geek
04-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Excellent! The price is going to double then!

hehe - im kidding! really!

I don't take it as a negative at all. And as for anual renewal, it has never been posted. Therefore I have never told you what it was going to cost you muwhawhawhaw! I understand what you are saying - but I think overall Im more than fair with prices and with flexability. After all, you will most liekly not need to renew your members access until a newer build comes along. Heck. 2,0 may be the end all be all and never need an update again. :D

Marris
04-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Will the encoding of core classes affect end-user customization? There always seems to be at least one or two features that I need to add or tweak in every script that I use on my site. I do understand that the modules will be unaffected.

Will this be a limiting factor for nuts-and-bolts user customization? Are you open to adding features that have otherwise been locked out by the encoding?

On a different topic, will the store be open or is it possible to arrange a purchase before 2.0 goes final? I was waiting for the 2.0 release before making a purchase (which has now turned out to be a bad decision). Do you forsee the beta data tables staying the same through the final 2.0 release? If so and if you are willing to accomodate a purchase during beta, please let me know.

Thank you.

Lizard King
04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I am to hear that we'll start all over with the new beta's :) Since the gold version is out the activity in the board get lower and lower everyday.
But i am worried about the zend optimizer. I dont know which version you are going to use for Zend but i hope it will be the new zend optimizer 3.0 because the server load is pretty better with vbseo :)

The Geek
04-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Marris - You shouldnt need to customize any functionality in the core classes - however lets see how it goes. If there is something you arent able to do then I can look into it.

Liz - agreed :D Ill be using the latest ioncube for early beta and introduce zend around beta 2 :)

TheComputerGuy
05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
I am not 100% on the encoder but I understand what you are trying to do. So I am willing to support you on this until I see otherwise.

P.S. Great products deserve great customer support such as seen here.

The Geek
05-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks man... Thats one of the nicer comments Ive had in awhile.

Im not 100% on encoding. However I am just plain over seeing people steal code that costs less than the price of a CD. I code for the fun of it, and sell it for very little.

kall
05-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Go geek! :)

I am 100% in support of you preventing thieving punks from stealing your code.

And for those people who 'wont run encrypted scripts'? No GARS for them!! Muahahahaha!